Fly Tying

Stuck Ferrules

To release ferrules that are stuck, and refuse to come apart, put the rod behind the knees, with a hand each side, keeping them close to the knees, holding the rod. Now exert pressure by forcing the knees apart, not guaranteed to work, but it does most times. Do not grip the rod around a ring.

ohmy.gif

OSD.

Thanks OSD, thats a great tip. I've had problems with ferrules sticking. And I used to twist them appart, will sure try the knee trick next time. Do you put any type of wax or grease or anything on ferrules to help prevent them from sticking? If so I wonder why stores don't push this stuff when rods are purchased.

Graham

Nope don't put any wax or greese on ferrules.

Just keep them clean and sand and dirt free and if at all possable don't put the ferrule togather wet.

Make sure the connection between each section is snug, but not so tight that you won't be able to pull it apart later when you want to take the rod apart.

OSD.

I put paraffin wax on my ferrules and have yet to have any stick. I actually have a rod that has the tip section stay on more snug after adding the wax. The one time I had a ferrule stick on me (prior to adding the wax), I used ice held close to the ferrule for a couple of minutes and that made the material retract enough for the rod to come apart.

QUOTE (Graham @ Jan 11 2005, 08:54 PM)
And I used to twist them appart, will sure try the knee trick next time.

Twisting is a big "No No". If you twist in the direction the fiber is layed you can actually put a spiral fracture in the rod which will rupture then next time it's under pressure. I accidentally did this on my (then) new Orvis TLS 8wt and the butt section blew apart on a double haul! blink.gif The rod was fixed under warranty but I was (rightfully) embarrassed.

Putting the rod behind your knees allows you to exact a straight and even pressure on the rod.

Joe C.

A way that I was shown many moons ago was to put the rod behind your back, right hand below the ferrule (palm down) and reach around and grip above the ferrule with your left (palm up). Pull to get the rod apart. I think you can get more leverage than with the knee method. Try it. cool.gif

QUOTE (OSD @ Jan 11 2005, 08:08 PM)
To release ferrules that are stuck, and refuse to come apart, put the rod behind the knees, with a hand each side, keeping them close to the knees, holding the rod. Now exert pressure by forcing the knees apart, not guaranteed to work, but it does most times. Do not grip the rod around a ring.

ohmy.gif
OSD.

I have seen this method work many a time. Never thought it would happen to me when I was't watching my 9 yo son put his two piece together so tight I nearly fainted with trying to part it. A mate grabbed the rod and the knee trick worked wheelchair.gif

Cheers ph34r.gif

If the knee trick fails and there is no ice around, nother safe bet is to have two people grab the rod in the same way as if you were taking it apart on your own... the power of two people makes it amazingly simple.

If you had both hands on one section, and your partner had both hands on the other section I can see that happening.

As they say on ER, sorry for your loss! smile.gif

One of the fellowes I fish with bought a brand new St. Croix pack rod and it actually came with some sort of wax or lube from the factory. I have always used paraffin and never had any problems tearing down a rod (knock on wood).