Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

North Monomoy-8/25- Breaking The Code

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 striblue

striblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:21 PM

A month ago I asked Rich Murphy to meet me at North Monomoy to do some sight fishing . We finally worked out today as the day. I was to meet Rich at 8 am, but he was running late so I took off and The Rip Ryder got a call from Rich saying he would find me around 9:30 ...Pete Grey volunteered to meet up with us mid morning in his Hydra Sport.... THE PERFECT DAY weather wise so I headed out on an early dropping tide and spoted several pods moving in the usual direction. Fishing a crab apple I was getting follows, looks ,but no takes... I concluded that it was the wrong location for the crab which is my fly at the grass flats in the middle of the island and usually on an incoming... so I usually then go to a shrimp. I stopped with the sand eels last year but decided to try a new sand eel I tied out of DNA with just two little strips of flash... very delicate and no longer than 2 1/2 inches....... I am Knee deep and to my left I see a large pod of Mid twenty fish.... cast to the lead.....wait.... strip after the first passes over and Bang.... great take...using 8 pound flouro is the key I think as well... My day is made...one good fish taken that way is a successful trip on very spooky fish... Minutes later several more pods now coming in several directions...pick my target. Good Cast... Bang...my second fish gain mid twenty and I saw the whole thing.Wait...sand eels are not suppose to work like this I think..... finally Rich shows up and we walk further... and he spots a target..casts...waits... strips...Bang..he is on. He is using a little delicate synthetic sand eel. Made be this is Sand eel day. Pete shows up and we jump on board and head to another area.... we spot hundreds of fish..... move into the area and get out of the boat and start casting.....we do this several times... the bait is all peanut bunker..but they are taking the small eel imitation...... Saw some big 40 inch fish... we manage several more fish between us...all of us.... all great "visual" takes. The kind of North Monomoy day you think about in the winter. Thanks Pete and Rich for a great day.... Here is picture with Rich with fish on...

Attached Files

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:29 PM

John you really know how to make a guy drool. That really is some beautiful looking water in that pic. I got to get out that way one day, sight fishing to pods of big fish like that has to be an amazing experience!

test

#3 GHow

GHow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:50 AM

Great story John! Polarized glasses and pods of fish cool.gif
Nothing better than a new fly doing it's job. Any more pictures to share?
Howie / Lake Congamond - West Suffield

#4 striblue

striblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

I wish I could give you fish pictures but most were far between us as we left the boat.. Rich took a few of one fish hooked up but I don't think it is that visable... I will check back.