Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Spectacular Day in RI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:02 AM

What can I say, except that Labor Day in South County was perhaps the best saltwater flyfishing day I've ever had.

Bert and I started at dawn and took several schoolie bass and medium bluefish from an outflow near low tide. After breakfast, we went in search of albie action. We hit a few of the known haunts for these fish and although we saw them clearly working the first location, they were often out of reach and very flighty.

At our second location, we were told that bluefish had been in the area so I was rigged with a floating line and a popper. What appeared within minutes was a few pods of albies. Not wanting to run all the way back to the Pathfinder to switch over to a sinking line, I began to work the area in the hopes of triggering a surface strike. Believe it or not, I took the first albie on that very bluefish popper. After that initial fish, the area became a hotbed of action for about ninety minutes, and all five flyfishermen hooked with some regularity. I changed over to a crease fly and continued to get a few more albacore, and Bert scored with an epoxied craft fur fly.

After that action stopped and we went to put some food in our stomachs, we returned to the scene of the dawn activity for sunset. We were again rewarded, but this time with LARGE bluefish, several of which were in the ten to twelve pound range. These fish were absolute brutes on our ten weight rods, and for every fish landed there were several long distance releases. We continued fishing for about an hour or two after dark, and continued to catch fish. Finally, at about ten o'clock, we left weary but happy.

I've had days of catching more fish. I've had days of catching bigger fish. But the quality of this day, the qualtity of my fishing partner, and the quality of our fellow anglers who were complete strangers were all high. The cooperation and growing comaraderie among the five of us as the albie action increased was contagious. We made a few new friends, and I'm sure that we'll see them again. On top of all that, the weather was just wonderful.

The amount of bait and level of fish activity at this point in the season are good indicators for this fall.

On a final note, yesterday was the first time that Bert and I had ever taken albies on a flyrod. We finished with three apiece, and now completely understand the obsession that goes with these fish. We had set a goal for ourselves to finally put ourselves in position to cross paths with them, and the payoff was worth the twenty hour day.
Mark

#2 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:51 PM

wow, sounds like a good time. WIsh I bought a salt rod instead of my 6wt...Man, I need to try this out one of these days...Hopefully I'll fall into some money and get another rod. The addiction sets in. Yeah, when I get profecient with casting(meaning never), I'm coming with you guys =P.

#3 GHow

GHow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:03 AM

I had my first experience three years ago at Plum Island out of Niantic. Getting them on topwater, even better! Don't tell us you forgot your camera?
Howie / Lake Congamond - West Suffield

#4 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:57 PM

GHow-

I do not bring a camera with me when I go fishing in the surf and off jetties. Too many things that can happen to it, and there's a lot of money invested there.

But I suppose that you'll keep bugging people who don't post pictures. Sorry if I sound a bit bent here, but many fishing reports made that don't come with pictures are needled by you. I respectfully suggest that you let people post as they like, and if pictures are what people want to do then they'll do it.

Again, I apologize if I seem a bit off here, but enough is enough already.
Mark

#5 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:18 PM

For whatever reason I didn't see this report until now dunno.gif

Anway Mark it sounds like you have continued to have an awesome year and it looks like you really have gotten into some good fish. One of these days I would love to make it out your way and have you show me around a little. I love how you got so many fresh and saltwater opportunies, that must be real nice.

BTW I sent surf fishing one time and my camera got dunked and it never worked again sad.gif

test

#6 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

Will, this has truly been one of my better years fishing wise. I've been blessed with opportunities, good fishing partners, and time on the water.

Days like the ones I've had this season will help a little bit in getting through the long winter. But just a little. wink.gif
Mark