Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hook-sharpener

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:49 PM

Anyone have some thoughts they'd care to share on favorite hook-sharpeners?
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#2 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:21 PM

I tend to buy chemically sharpened hooks for saltwater, which really can't be sharpened any more than they already are. For freshwater hooks, or saltwater hooks that have been dulled after use, I use a sharpening stone and triangulate the point. I rub from the point in towards the bend. Doing otherwise can aggregate burrs on the point and make them duller.
Mark

#3 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

Until the time DMT made a butterfly style (the knife) diamond strop, I used to carry the standards: toomakers white die stones, small Washita oil stones, fine carborundum combination whetstones, etc. I probably have a white die stone and a double grit whetstone in my vest now. I'll have (sharpening) stones which have been virtually untouched when I die, it seems.

#4 JME

JME

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:07 AM

I use the E-Z Lap diamond sharperner. Good tool to carry around with you, and saved my bacon more than once

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:17 PM

I keep a Rapala one in my vest it is light and came with a three peice kit with small forceps, line sniper, hook sharpener that also has e few other tools attached to it was cheap enough $7.00 for the whole kit. I think it was an error because there were other kits the same and slightly different that were $14.95. so I grabed it. Thats not stealing is it? it was a major corporation like Wall Mart.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#6 jkr

jkr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:38 PM

I have good luck with Renzetti's Clouser File