Fly Tying
DarrellP

In big trouble

My wife found a bucktail deceiver stuck in the dog's leg. Time to clean up or get banished.

I have a portable station that I use while watching tv. Guess I dropped one.

I have a set up in the room over the garage, but like to tie with the family, in the den.

Had this same problem and was banished to the basement until I got a cheap shop apron from Ace, put down an old towel or sheet drop cloth, and instantly grabbed up any sharp items that hit the floor; and, it did suck until I figured this out

poor pup!

I finished our basement but included a little nook so I could be 'out of sight, out of mind'

Sorry to hear about your pooch Darrell. I've posted this before but my bench is in my wife's home office so It's a requirement that I keep it neat and clean. Failure to do so will result in my banishment to our unheated and windowless basement. In general it's my nature to keep things organized. I hate wasting valuable tying time hunting for stuff lost in piles of other stuff, just my view.

Magnets are your friend. If you look at the photo you'll see a strong magnetic small parts holder that I got from Wal Mart on my vice- cheap money, I think I got a 2 of them for around $4. When I sit down to tie I pick out the hooks I intend to use and they go in the holder. No more than 4 at a time so it's easy to keep track of them. I haven't lost one yet. Finished flies all get transferred to a fly box and never left out due to our cat and a dog. I went as far as to build the wooden base the vise is on and line it with velvet which does a fair job of keeping fibers from blowing around. I don't use head cement, super glue or resins in my tying so the velvet works for me. I keep a small hand held vacuum at my desk and use it when I finish. I know it's a bit more work but it's better than the alternative. Good luck-

post-63811-0-75100700-1581444349_thumb.jpg

I have a telescopic magnet thing like you use working on a car.It will pick up a couple pounds,I dont tie in the living room anymore,bought a house with 2 extra bedrooms,One is for all my fishing and tying crap,

Three cats in my house. My tying station has NOTHING out that they can get into. I understand your desire to tie in the living room with all the family around, but hooking the dog ... that's bad juju! If one of my kittens got a hook in them ... I might stop tying altogether and get rid of all the tying supplies.

I must be the only one who doesn't mind tying in the basement. It has a small window I don't look out, a dedicated computer, television, all my fishing gear, most of my fun stuff and a mile long work bench. I also don't mind tying in any other room in the house but any more I'm to lazy to carry my stuff around the house.

At least the dog found it before one of the kids. What a good dog.