Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scottross09

Stone Fly Streamer patters

Recently on my local river the reports are in that large stone fly streamer patters are killing it. I am curious what those look like. I am loving tying my own stuff, and if I have the materials for one or two patters I would like to be able to tie them myself instead of heading in to buy one.

Stonefly nymphs look like this. My sample was collected in Pa, and was 30mm long. The nymphs out in your area are going to be bigger, and darker than this one. Black is a good body color. I have had good success with the following patterns.

post-12074-0-50429300-1334169214_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-01686100-1334169250_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-38478500-1334169323_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-00594400-1334169357_thumb.jpg

I seem to be posting this a lot lately, but only because I believe it's a good pattern & I know it works. I use it for Smallmouth bass, but have caught trout & other species on it too. It's a good pattern to imitate both Stoneflies & Hellgrammites.

It's an easy pattern to tie. The particular hook I use is only sold in size 2, which is the only size I now tie it in, and is sold by Togen's Fly Shop in Canada. Most any nymph hook could be used & in various sizes. Variations can also be made, by making the body fatter, or longer and by using different types of beads for the head to get various sink rates. Even small barbell eyes could be used if desired.

I generally only tie it in black or olive, but have tied it in amber, yellow & brown.

The tying recipe & instructions are on my blog. http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

100_4109.jpg

Are you certain that "they" are saying "STREAMER"? I have been at this game since 1952 and have never heard of, or seen, a Stonefly "STREAMER" pattern. Nymphs (as shown by Utyer and Tidewater, YES), and adult patterns that are dry flies are the standard fare. I am NOT saying that such does NOT exist! Just that I have never heard of one until reading your post.

I've used this here pattern before and had quite a bit of success with it, but I ran out of brown marabou so I couldn't tie any more of em.dry.gif Stonefly Bugger

Thank You and Tight Lines