Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Warmwater species

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your favorite target species for warmwater?

What are your favorite target species for warmwater?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:04 AM

I had to vote for 'other' - pike, pickerel, etc., which doesn't take away from my enjoyment of catching anything else.

#32 Robert Burton

Robert Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 12:37 PM

My Favorite right now is Channel Cats on the fly. Total blast on the long rod. # 2 Would be smallies #3 would be Pike. I guess 2 out 3 of mine would qualify as "other" in your books! hehehehehe

#33 Esox

Esox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:36 PM

Muskie, carp, pike, smallies and largemouth. In that order.

#34 NEMIsportsman

NEMIsportsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:04 PM

I see by the previous poster that they definitely let anybody in here!!!!

For me Walleye and Pike. I have a friend that is probably one of the top recreational fishermen in the state for Muskies, but he refuses to take me along!!!!!:dunno: I guess I will have to be content with those 2 species.

#35 Esox

Esox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:13 PM

As I understand it, every time he called you last year, you were either busy or heading to Oscoda. tongue.gif

#36 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

This survey makes me miss fishing for largemouths in Southern California sad.gif
I guess I'll hit the San Juan this weekend ... yeah that'll make me feel better smile.gif
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...

#37 SALMONATOR

SALMONATOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

While pike, musky and carp all sound like an absolute blast to have at the end of a fly-line, I wouldn't know. Some things I've always wanted to try though. I guess for me it would have to be smallies. They've always picked up the slack durring the long, hot, dog-days of late summer when the trout don't really want to play.

Al

#38 grizzlyhackle

grizzlyhackle

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:09 AM

Smallmouth are definately #1 on the list but I agree with jbrowning on page 1 and will gladly catch anything that eats my fly. smile.gif This year I am hoping to make a concentrated effort on carp. There is a large mud flat adjacent to the inlet of my hometown's mill pond, when I've been out for other species I've seen carp tailing and rolling in there that have to go 30-36 inches. I have heard they are REALLY spooky though so it should be fun.

#39 Esox

Esox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 06:18 AM

At the risk of offending sensibilities, carp can be very leery and sometimes it can be almost impossible to get them to hit a fly. Often a little spray on scent like the bass guys use, or a dab of Powerbait carp goo on the hook will get you a lot more hits.

#40 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Don't worry, this is a different group of fly tiers here. Besides, I already offended everybody with my idea to soak some flies with... ah, nevermind. The results aren't in yet!
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#41 BadKarma

BadKarma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:06 AM

This really is a tough question. I've sat here for the last 15 mins. trying to figure out which is my favorite and I cant do it. I enjoy all equally. The leaping acrobatics of the "Bucketmouth", the water boiling thrash of "ol' Bronzeback", the never ending spin of a big Bull 'gill, and the mind bending run of big Mr. Whiskers. I cant choose.

Hey dadsgnat, I too live here in the Ozarks. Branson, MO. I have fished Bull Shoals most of my life. Taneycomo has dominated my fishing time these past few years, but I plan to hit Swan Creek and Bull Creek and Beaver this year alot. The Buffalo in AR. is a good float too.

This is my 2nd or 3rd post here and I really feel at home with you folks. Thanks for a great web site.

BadKarma

#42 willie

willie

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:06 AM

I like anything that bites too, but I just love to catch pike and go carp fishing when it gets really slow around my area. Smallies are always fun, but hard to find.

#43 Bear Coat

Bear Coat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

For Warmwater Species this was a tough choice.

Even though I catch Bluegills, Crappies, Bass and Catfish on the fly. I would have to say that my Target Fish would have to be the Walleye. Even though I have never caught one on the fly, I can still see me doing it. I know my 7 wgt Rod can handle it. It is just getting out there to do it. Hopefully this year. wink.gif
"For every day you fish, you live another day"

#44 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:14 PM

i have landed a few smaller wallies on the fly before, 'Coat....nice fight....just remember not to try to lip one!!! Was smallie fishing the first time I got one and just wasn't thinking...my attention quickly changed direction when i saw my thumb headed towards those spiky teeth!!! wink.gif

#45 Bear Coat

Bear Coat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Feb 20 2004, 03:13 PM)
i have landed a few smaller wallies on the fly before, 'Coat....nice fight....just remember not to try to lip one!!! Was smallie fishing the first time I got one and just wasn't thinking...my attention quickly changed direction when i saw my thumb headed towards those spiky teeth!!! wink.gif

Thanks for the reminder Big Daddy Hubbar, wink.gif

I am already well aware of them teeth. huh.gif I have caught several Walleye but never on the Fly. That is one of my goals this year. I am thinking that a Woolly Bugger should work good on them.

I do remember watching a TV Program with Babe Winkelman (sp?) lipping a Walleye and all I could do was Laugh at him. He should of known better. lol.gif
"For every day you fish, you live another day"