Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hatches Magazine: Chris Helm Interview

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

Sam(harleyhunter) arranged an interview with Chris Helm and we allowed the members to ask Mr. Helm some questions.

Thanks Sam and thanks to Chris for agreeing to do the interview!

Chris Helm Interview

IPB Image

test

#2 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I love hearing from guys who've been in the game for a while and are successful. That's the kind of knowledge you usually have to pay for! Thanks Will!
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#3 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

Great interview, its nice to get a perspective from one of the masters.

#4 Sagittarius62

Sagittarius62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

I had the good fortune to place an order from Mr. Helm a few months back. Along with my order I got a nice patch of his natural deer hair, and a solid thirty minute tutorial over the phone (We talked about every concept discussed in the interview regarding deer hair tying). People like him are what make the fly tying, and fly fishing community as great as it is.

#5 Andrewfly fishing

Andrewfly fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

Nice fly! I love youre choice in coloure. Red is a killer on bass
Andy Pandy (save the pandas)

#6 stiknstring

stiknstring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

now thats what i call a bass bug WOW the color is great sure is a eye catcher and i bet it catches fish too

#7 j. michael

j. michael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

i just love hearing what pro tyers and fishers have to say. thanks will for spreading the article around
"the sport of angling used to be a genteel business, at least in the world of ideals, a world of ladies and gentlemen."
- the longest silence by thomas mcguane

"give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a life-time."

-buddist philosophy

"who can argue with big fish?"

http://kyflyfishers.ning.com/

#8 JDO

JDO

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Ihave done bussiness with Mr. Helms awhile and he has been very helpful to me. I can tell him what I'm tying and he will suggest things for me. He will take time with you no matter how skilled your are, he makes you feel at home- you will want to tye when he gets through with you. Dry, soft hackle, nymph,anything he knows. DEER HAIR he is the best. I can,t tell you how great he has been to me but if you don't call him you don,t know what you are missing. His prices are in line with anybody and his quality will be better than most. HE CAN HELP YOU- TRY HIM.

John D. Owens

#9 Dart

Dart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

This is a great article, so I'm going to bump it so some of you who missed it can take a gander.

#10 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Great interview thanks!
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins