Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nymphs For Bluegills

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 robow7

robow7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

As far as nymphs used for gills, a friend of mine who targets big bluegill and is very particular, swears by a larger prince nymph.

#47 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Lost track of this thread, but I second a large prince nymph.
Bimini15

#48 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Lost track of this thread, but I second a large prince nymph.

And, I will see the LARGE Prince Nymph and raise you to RIO Grande King TRUDE, as Bluegills in Sandhills and North Platte River system, seemingly go for Black & Orange schematics, but PEACOCK is also Deadly on waters I have consistently fished....
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#49 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

The Bitch Creek is a favorite around my neck of the woods. Use rubber legs for antennae and tail, you should have a hard time keeping the gills and small bass off.

#50 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

The Bitch Creek is a favorite around my neck of the woods. Use rubber legs for antennae and tail, you should have a hard time keeping the gills and small bass off.

+1
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#51 Brassie22

Brassie22

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

I have not read the book you are referring to, however I have always had good luck with weighted versions of olive rubber legs and traditional copper johns.  Bluegill are a great introduction to fly fishing for any angler and a great way to test the newest fly creations you come up with on your bench.

#52 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

Not blue gill's obviously. But I have been having some good success on a #8 black and pink nymph with deerhair wing and marabou tail while fishing for tilapia. Any colour works as long as it is black and pink.

Attached File  20170218_105755-1024x698.jpg   260.14KB   0 downloads

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#53 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

A few large size chironomids
C26EAEF5-6A64-44B9-97E3-FD33074192EA_zps
Copper nose bream...bout 7' in open water under strike indicator(winter pattern suspended)
F6C0F56B-5F4A-4AF4-9EFB-DE0D50D7E489_zps
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#54 Bob Sc

Bob Sc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

I too tie and fish Al Campbell's crappie candy as a tribute to Al.

Bob

#55 MouseManiac

MouseManiac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

I caught a bunch of gills on nymphs drifted behind an indicator in the lake I live at this spring before it got real warm.  Just about any worked, but my best producers were greenie weenies.  I ended up tying a chartreuse version of a stonefly pattern that really worked well for me.