Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Epoxy on Bass Poppers?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

I use Liquid Fusion with good results. There was a study on here somewhere showing that it held up as well as epoxy. Going to try some acrylic glaze from art supply to compare the glossiness.

That study might be the one conducted in 2013 by Kirk Dietrich.  It would be interesting to see the results if someone repeated the study to determine whether improvements have been made in the ensuing years in the durability of the UV products.

#62 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

I've used every kind of finish mentioned and then some on my cork poppers except for liquid fusion. I don't have liquid fusion but I have fabric fusion so I will have to try that. Here's what I believe. Whatever you put on is to prevent water absorption. I could care less how shiny it is or how hard it is.

Apply what ever in thin coats and drips isn't a big issue. I usually impale them in a piece of foam and I manually flip them every couple minutes. Even 30 minute epoxy will set beyond drip stage relatively quickly. I have a drying motor, unassembled, but for me It's borderline not needed for poppers. I am a patient type when it comes to this stuff though.

I won't use UV resins because it's a colossal waist of money. This may be the one case where my money is worth more then my time.

Sally Hanson is what I use now. It's quick, easy, cheap, and durable enough for the life of a popper. If need be, in the case of a tired old worn out popper that continually catches fish, it's super easy to recoat.

I will try the fabric fusion.

#63 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

I use Liquid Fusion and I think it's great. It holds up real well.

#64 afishinado

afishinado

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

The UV resins work, but are really expensive as Poop states above.  I use the UV stuff only for things like the wing case of trout flies and smaller jobs. I may use UV to do one or two flies, but I usually at one time tie up a bunch of poppers or saltwater or muskie flies I use the same epoxy I use to coat threads for rod building since I already have it on hand and have no need to buy anything else.  I paint and tie a bunch of flies or poppers and mix up a batch of epoxy.  It's perfect for poppers because it protects the paint and remains flexible and clear.  I attach a foam disk on my drying motor used for rod building and coat and hang each popper on the foam to keep them rotating until dry. 

I usually do a whole bunch of poppers each winter for the upcoming smallie season in summer through fall.  No need to do any this winter, though since the monsoons kept me off the rivers and streams last year and I still have a ton of unused poppers for this coming smallie season.  Like everyone else, I'm hoping for a better season this year.  Good luck to all.