Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First Balsa Popper and other 2016 Stippled Poppers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 JayWirth

JayWirth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Awesome paint job - is the squid backwards?

"Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people."

Arlo Guthrie

#17 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

Awesome paint job - is the squid backwards?

Yes!  good catch.  This is my display prototype.  If I was tying one to fish, I'd want the tentacles not to flare back toward the hook point every time I stripped the line.

#18 MouseManiac

MouseManiac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Those are awesome!  I'm a big popper fan.  I consider them one of my best flies, but I am nowhere near your level.  I have never really gotten the painting to a level I love.  I did airbrush for a while, but at my new house, I really don't have a place to do it with no more garage.  I typically sharpie them and use 5-minute epoxy to coat.  I also do some with acrylic paints and sally hansen's clear coat.  I just really don't like dealing with the epoxy if I can avoid it.  Mostly I've found I can make them look nicer if I take more time, but the fish really don't care...

Also, I really like those two funky-bodied balsa poppers.  I typically stick with Wapsi bodies or the double barrels these days.