Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Shoal bass patterns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Anybody fish for shoal bass in GA? Looking for some good patterns.

#2 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

They love crayfish.

http://www.flysandgu...ayfish-crawdads

Crayfish-Crawdads-Main-Page.jpg

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#3 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Never fished for them, and don't really know of any patterns specifically for targeting Shoal bass. However, it's likely any of the popular streamer patterns today should work, whether they're intended for bass or not shouldn't matter. You can start by tying those that may generally imitate the forage where you fish. 

I've never found bass of any kind to be overly picky about what they'll grab if you get it in front of them! wink.png

#4 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

You are right. Just looking for something unique. I just read that the stealth bomber pattern was designed for them.

#5 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

Wooley Bugger.  Or a Clouser.  I've fished for them with some success.  Never fished a specific fly; they seem to like bass flies.  Or a topwater popper when it's appropriate, but I can't remember using them in fast water.

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

GG34, why don't you try something like an Intruder, which is a Steelhead pattern. Tie it with a single hook, inverted like a Clouser, instead of the trailing stinger. I've used them for stream SM bass, and they've worked very well. IMO, they may imitate a leech, sculpins, madtoms, crawfish, or a number of other things that bass will eat. Would be unique too. I doubt anyone else is tossing them for those shoal bass. smile.png

#7 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Great thanks. I'll look up the pattern.

#8 Eagle Rock

Eagle Rock

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Size 6 Stealth Bomber on top and a size 4 brown crawfish down low. Black hellgrammite in the shoals.