Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Simple little pickerel/bass fly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Made a vid on a simple little fly I've come up with that works awesome on my local bass and pickerel   https://youtu.be/E6dUuHsK25M

Attached Files

"id rather be tried by twelve than carried by six"...unknown

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid"... John Wayne

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"...Thomas Jefferson

#2 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Yep!  Doesn't get much simpler!

#3 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

Not at all, I'm all about keeping it simple

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"...Thomas Jefferson

#4 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

The late great Ed Storey of Feathercraft long ago tied a very similar fly for use on the denizens of the FL Gulf Coast beaches.

Rocco 

#5 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Oh really?? This was just me messing around with new materials a few years back, guess a good fly works the world over

#6 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Silhouette, flash, movement--all a fly needs. Simple but deadly, I like it.

I should tie more patterns that look like this. Too often I get caught up in that fun tier's game called What Else Can I Squeeze Onto This Hook?

Seems like I actually caught more fish back when all my flies had this simplicity--of course that could just be me misremembering the past; maybe not, though.

Anyway great fly -- now let's see a pic of it lodged in the corner of a lunker bass's mouth! :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#7 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,480 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Silhouette, flash, movement--all a fly needs. Simple but deadly, I like it.

I had a whole thing written up, but I didn't want to start a conversation that hijacked the thread ... so I'll just say this ...

Silhouette, flash, movement AND contrast --- the red and white provides excellent contrast that's been a proven color combo for decades, in the right water conditions.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

There's a lot of variations of that type of pattern.  This one I've tied for years, I call it an Estaz Bug.  I think I got the idea from a Lefty Kreh pattern, but was trying to come up with an imitation of a Mr. Twister grub.  It's always caught fish for me, especially the pearl, but faded from my fly box, not sure why, too simple, not realistic enough.  I think I'll add it to this year's resurrection brigade and see if it will still catch fish.  A bit of lead wire wrapped around the middle of the shank, tie in the marabou tail and flash. wrap the estaz and then trim it too shape. 

Attached File  estaz_bug.jpg   68.14KB   0 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#9 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for all the compliments guys! And yeah I love tying big complicated monstosities as much as the next guy but always seem to catch my fish on the simple ones. This one was tied weightless which lets you fish it like a zara spook but they can be deadly with some weight added and fished deep!