Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Inexpensive Pike Fly Hooks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

I couldn't believe the price on the ones I saw. A buddy is going up to Canada and asked me to tie him a few pike flies. Can anyone point me in the direction of some cheaper hooks. I guess I need 2/0 3/0 or 4/0? I've never tied a pike fly.

Thanks

PS. I need the hooks in a matter of days as they are leaving in just two weeks.

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

http://www.jannsnetc...1076230003.aspx

http://www.jannsnetc...bait-hooks.aspx

Mustad or VMC spinner bait hooks might fit the bill.

Always quit when you're through.

#3 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

Eagle 0272A (long shank)

Eagle 254clf (short shank)

Both should be avialble at Walmart.

#4 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

If you don't want many hooks LPO sells Mustad and VMC in a 10 pack.

http://www.lureparts...rbait-Hook.html

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

Walmart ...

https://www.walmart....-Hooks/35259414

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

At some point, I picked up some  3/0 Eagle Claw Aberdeen style hooks.  Thought it was from Jann's Net Craft but if it was they don't carry them anymore.  The one thing you need to consider with Mustad and Eagle Claw is that you often have to buy 100 hooks when ordering from a catalog or on line.  If you're only going to tie a dozen or so, you might want to look at Gamakatsu, Owner or VMC  long shank spinner bait or worm hooks or the Partridge Predator hooks.   In terms of hook size,   size 1 to 4/0 would work.  Depends where your friend is going to in Canada, is it a destination pike lake or just a lake that has pike in it.   Keep them simple, check out Bob Popovics' "Semper Fleye".  All white, red/white, Chartreuse or yellow or combinations of them have worked for me on a lake in Northern Ontario.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#7 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

I bought the O'Shaughnessy style Eagle Claw hooks in size 3/0 at Wally World.

#8 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Not the cheapest out there but reasonable for good hooks, the umpqua U series are fairly priced.

#9 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

Not the cheapest out there but reasonable for good hooks, the umpqua U series are fairly priced.

They came in a 50-pack, but I figure I'll tie some for myself. I'm thinking I can use the flies for pike and bass. Does that sound logical?

#10 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

401 series ...correct?

#11 J.Z

J.Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

I just buy hundred packs of b10s from gamakatsu. Wanna say it is about 28 dollars or so retail.

#12 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

They came in a 50-pack, but I figure I'll tie some for myself. I'm thinking I can use the flies for pike and bass. Does that sound logical?
Sounds very logical.

#13 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

401 series ...correct?
I don't think so I think it's just u series four the hook line which has a bunch of different models. Just Google u series the jig hooks are great.

#14 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Can you guys source Sakuma mantas over there? Very sharp, strong and good shank length for tying.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#15 FKROW

FKROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Friends who make annual trips to Canada for pike have changeed to heavy wire SS saltwater hooks.
TheY had too many large fish straighten traditional standard wire large hooks.

Regards,
FK