Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Homemade Tying Tools

tools fly tying homemade

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:54 PM

Looks perfect, Poopdeck.  Great job!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#77 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Mike. I forgot to add that I found a cheaper, as in free, alternative for the non skid protective pad on the base. An old mouse pad. Works great at protecting the finish of what ever the vise is sitting on and it doesn't budge even a hairs width.

#78 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

biggrin.png Free/salvaged materials ... even better !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#79 Vastator

Vastator

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Not sure if this counts, but I made a fish hook/bead bowl in tinkercad and then printed it out.   Underneath, there is a magnet to help keep the hooks in place.  So far it works great, im thinking about smoothing the surfaces out more and make it stackable.

6qmqzzjp16u31.png

Once I get it where I'm really happy with it, ill post it on thingiverse for others to download and print.

Charles

#80 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

Not sure if this counts, but I made a fish hook/bead bowl in tinkercad and then printed it out.   Underneath, there is a magnet to help keep the hooks in place.  So far it works great, im thinking about smoothing the surfaces out more and make it stackable.

6qmqzzjp16u31.png

Once I get it where I'm really happy with it, ill post it on thingiverse for others to download and print.

Charles

I've got some containers  like the following ones (sorry, I couldn't post the image directly).  Advantages: Transparent and threaded. I use them for various types of flies--streamers in one, etc. Not small enough for carrying to the stream, but convenient enough for carrying to the car.  I tried using a magnetic bowl from Harbor Freight around my fly tying table, but IIRC, it was "squashing" the flies that I put in it so I gave up on it in a few minutes. I'll keep my eyes open for a nice piece of styrofoam. Anyway, just thought I would add this input to your design process. -Bill.

https://www.ebay.com...9-/161172087548

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#81 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:01 AM

Looks like a workable idea. You guys are smart.

#82 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

I was going through boxes of stuff looking for acetate floss and I came across this spool holder that some body made. It's just some peg board with the fluted 1/4 inch dowels made for wood joinery. It's pretty simple and seems to work.

DSCF4169-X2.jpg

DSCF4170-XL.jpg

#83 corney

corney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

I was going through boxes of stuff looking for acetate floss and I came across this spool holder that some body made. It's just some peg board with the fluted 1/4 inch dowels made for wood joinery. It's pretty simple and seems to work.

DSCF4169-X2.jpg
DSCF4170-XL.jpg

I have many square feet of and dowels as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, fly tying, homemade