Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Unscrupulous ebay seller

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#16 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

Yes, there are clueless, indifferent sellers out there... More than once I've gotten a very good bargain after something was offered at a fraction of its true value... The other side of the coin is also the case where the seller doesn't exactly live up to his (or her) end with goods not properly described, etc.  I take it all in stride since it's no different than any other casual marketplace.

Over the years I've done very well keeping my business up and running on supplies and other necessities on E-Bay... Yes, you have to be careful and take a close look at whatever is on offer but mostly I've had very good results using the bay.... and I can't think of a single incident that involved fraud or other bad behavior.  I actually know a bit about how badly a few folks can behave, given the opportunity since in another life I worked the streets of south Florida during the height of the party (1973 - 1995) both in uniform and plain clothes... 

I've been trying to live it down every since...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#17 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Personally, I think it IS a big deal when a seller lists a particular item and shows a picture of a different item. It is easily fixed and I can think of no good reason for the seller to continue with the misrepresentation. I buy and sell lots of things on ebay and have a 100 percent feedback rating (it's not hard to do). Though it doesn't sound bad, 99.6 is actually not a very good rating.

It really doesn't matter how much money a buyer stands to save, there is a difference in the two vises. Either the seller should fix it or state that the vise pictured is not the vise he is selling.

The listing is misleading (I have bought things solely from the picture, not smart, but I have done it) It should be fixed. I am reporting the listing and contacting the seller.

That's how I see it.

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

I hope someone buys that vise ... gets a higher functioning vise for a larger savings, and both buyer and seller go away from the sale happy.

Again, the only reason "misrepresentation" should be an issue, is if the seller is trying to get MORE money for an item buy listing it as MORE than it is.

Like listing a knock off vise as an original.  Or listing a full function office chair, and you receive a pine kitchen chair.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

I hope someone buys that vise ... gets a higher functioning vise for a larger savings, and both buyer and seller go away from the sale happy.

Again, the only reason "misrepresentation" should be an issue, is if the seller is trying to get MORE money for an item buy listing it as MORE than it is.

Like listing a knock off vise as an original.  Or listing a full function office chair, and you receive a pine kitchen chair.

Well, he is picturing a higher priced vise than the one is selling (according to his description). To me, that's a misrepresentation.

Isn't it the same as if you bought the vise off of the shelf (in the box) and when you got it home the vise pictured on the box was not in the box. Instead there was a less expensive version in the box.

It's an easy thing to fix, he should fix it. It's also the reason he's had trouble in the past.

#20 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Well, he is picturing a higher priced vise than the one is selling (according to his description). To me, that's a misrepresentation.

Isn't it the same as if you bought the vise off of the shelf (in the box) and when you got it home the vise pictured on the box was not in the box. Instead there was a less expensive version in the box.

It's an easy thing to fix, he should fix it. It's also the reason he's had trouble in the past.

To paraphrase myself, "... I hope the buyer gets a higher functioning vise for a larger savings, ..."

If the buyer gets a lower priced item after paying more ... then it is that buyer's right to seek compensation.

It's been noted earlier on this thread and others ... caveat emptor.

I'm not saying the seller shouldn't correct the mistake, since it's been pointed out to them. 

I am asking, "Where do you stop?"  Perhaps, it's now Bill's and your responsibilities to look through ALL the items for sale on E-bay, and to report ALL items that are pictured incorrectly or priced too high for the value.  biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

To paraphrase myself, "... I hope the buyer gets a higher functioning vise for a larger savings, ..."

If the buyer gets a lower priced item after paying more ... then it is that buyer's right to seek compensation.

It's been noted earlier on this thread and others ... caveat emptor.

I'm not saying the seller shouldn't correct the mistake, since it's been pointed out to them. 

I am asking, "Where do you stop?"  Perhaps, it's now Bill's and your responsibilities to look through ALL the items for sale on E-bay, and to report ALL items that are pictured incorrectly or priced too high for the value.  biggrin.png

reductio ad absurdum

#22 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

The seller has 60+ pages at 100 items per page for sale on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com..._skc=5900&rt=nc

He tends not answer his messages

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#23 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

Well the unscrupulous SOB corrected the ad.

Mark, have you recieved 28000 sales with feedback? I've sold about 9 things on eBay and enjoy a 100% rating as well. I think 99.6 is a fantastic rating when dealing with 28000 consumers. Ever stand in a line at a store when that person in front of you manufacturers a problem that doesn't really exist. It's these high maintenance shoppers that always find a problem that makes me use the net for shopping more and more. These same people also shop on line.

#24 Mogup

Mogup

You guys are very cranky !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

#25 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:38 PM

laugh.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#26 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:54 PM

Well the unscrupulous SOB corrected the ad.

Yes, I couldn't have put it better myself. I noticed he corrected at least one of his other listings at the same time that had a similar problem. Thanks for listening and/or joining in to help fix a problem I found myself unable to fix by myself! 

Someone asked, "Where do you stop?".  The short answer is "You don't stop stopping"  I passed a woman in the parking lot of the mall struggling with a flat tire. I stopped and put her spare on for her.  If I find a turtle on it's back, I stop and flip it back over. If I find a duck with a fishing lure hanging out of the side of its neck, I catch the duck and remove the lure. Important note: If you go after such a duck it will run from you, but if you offer the very same duck some food it may come right to you.   So, that's where I stop. It's sort of like a religion.  YMMV.  P.S. That duck lived on with a scar on it's neck, but I think we had a special connection after that incident (I lived in an apartment which faced a large pond).  This may sound a bit blasphemous here, but on the whole scheme of things, stopping is more important than fishing.  That doesn't mean you have to spend your time looking for problems, but don't be afraid to pick up a piece of litter either. I'm not preaching, I'm just answering the question, "Where do you stop?". I'll step off of my crate.

Tight lines,

Bill_729

"These same people also shop on line."

--FWIW, "Online" is one word; "on the Internet" may be even better.

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

Online is one word? Who knew? Correcting my spelling and grammar mistakes could never stop. Thank you.

#28 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

grammar police catches us every time :)

spelling and grammar not subject to debate :)

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#29 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

spelling and grammar not subject to debate :)

Oh, but the commas!
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#30 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Spelling, grammar and punctuation not subject to debate :)

We do it all the time! Get over it!