Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New plastic drawer unit for fly tying stuff

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

The secretary desk looks like it would make a very fine fly tying desk.

#17 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

So as to not inconvenience Mr. Poopdeck, although I certainly appreciate and wish to recognize his generosity (!), my wife and I went to Office Depot and just came home with this desk:

https://www.officede...r-Desk-29-12-H/

We got it for $140, with a price match, which made it attractive.  It has even more room for clamping a vise to it than the $99 unit (which has 1.125").   I'm supposing you should take it easy clamping to laminated particle board (yes? ).   When this is set in place, I'll be able to reach my stereo/cd/cassette unit (which is in a bookcase, and which I  haven't really used in years), from my seat. So I think it will be a great combination. Particularly if you like the like's of blues guitar players like Lightnin' Hopkins and Blind Blake. 

So the desk has to be assembled and plenty of stuff (some of which I hesitate to call furniture), has to be moved around before I push the "play" button! : )

Thank you all for your help and support!   Mikechell, thank you for getting us to the right store!  Time for my lunch, than to work on the above...

Bill_729.

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

You're welcome.  Glad you found something you like.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

You're welcome.  Glad you found something you like.

I've got the new desk assembled except for its 3 drawers.  That took a bit more than a couple of hours so far. One thing about Sauder, they give you "unanticipated sweat equity". I got the think "all the way home" before it dawned on me that I had an assembly project ahead of me (they don't detail that aspect anywhere on the tags and such).   I've really got my mileage out of everything I've bought from them over the years though. I bought the desk w/hutch that I sitting at now in 1998, and I've moved it with me 3 times.  Still rock solid.  'Course, most of it's job it just supporting a monitor, keyboard and a printer, but it does it without any complaint.   Somehow I've been "busier" since I joined this forum!  : )

Bill_729

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------