Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

squimpish Hair?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bullhead

bullhead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

Anyone tie with this material? Is there a similar material that can be a close substitute?

Bullhead

#2 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

I know that Flytire often uses Sasquatch hair but I've never heard of squimpish hair. 

#3 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

Looks like yet another artificial hair product:  https://squimpishflies.com/

Have not tied with it, but looks like a lot of other products on the market -- and at that price, it is unlikely I'll try it anytime soon.

#4 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

I hear that whatfly. They're darn proud of their products.

#5 davidstrout

davidstrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

I was always a bucktail fur and feather type of tyer....yea I loved naturals..built all my flies adoring the taper and flow..then I discovered a synthetic worthy of tying with ..I had tried them all ..(Farrar, slinky, kinky, kankeron, kanekolon, et al) was completely unimpressed with their movement/lack of , their plastic ness etc..

I attached some  pics of our products ...we sell hair on a patch (craft fur on steroids) as well as blends of the hair (the hair with flash and other accents..truly unique and I have been tying for a long time

We are nice family business (the kids work , the parents work, the grandparents work )  proud of what we are doing and working hard to give tyers something better to work with then the mass produced plasticky shit that is out there

Feel free to drop us a line, tell us what you want and we will acommodate you..samples, donations for your club raffle whatever

David Nelson

squimpishflies.com

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_9309.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_9335.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_0919.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2461.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2233.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2272.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2456 (1).jpg

check out my site...

www.squimpishflies.com

#6 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

David, if you don't check PMs very often please check yours. I just sent you a note.

Nick

#7 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Need to check yours vicrider also....If its working
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#8 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

You're right denduke. Somehow I've looked at or responded to PMs above yours and below yours and missed opening yours. I'll get back to you but I'm not sure if you're serious about the offerings for the swap but you'd have a bunch under the tree after that. It's up to you but those are all acceptable for that kind of flies.

#9 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

It's a great product to increase the length of streamers when combined with bucktail due to the natural limitations of good bucktail. It's easy to find if you pay up, but this material allows you to use up that standard-sub par bucktail. 

Tying it in reverse against a thread bump allow Gunnar Brammer's Chosen One, then bulleting the head creates a nice tail with slight volume. You can also hollow tie it like bucktail. Really good stuff. 

Owner of Prime Fly Company
www.primeflycompany.com
Instagram: @primeflycompany
Facebook @primeflycompany