Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Best Fly Tying Scissors....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:45 AM

Are Dr. Slick all that are advertised? I have some ICE scissors that I have used and I liked them. But are Dr. Slick better?

Eli
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#2 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

Alot of people think so. I haven't tried a pair but I'm looking to purchasing one.
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,865 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

I have a couple pairs of Dr.Slick's and i've got alot of use out of mine over the years. Dont know if their "better" than others but they are nice.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

I have 4 Dr.Slick scissors and think all but 1 of them suck.The SA35G that is a 3 1/2" straight blade by far is the best out of the other ones i own.
If you have the cash and want the best get some Anvils.
Brent.

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,865 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

Brent what sucks about them to you? huh.gif been happy with both my pair for 9 yrs now, ones the old gold straight blade and the other is the all black curved shank.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:49 PM

My other ones don't cut good.The tips touch eachother so their not flush down the whole cutting edge.I've bent the tips out on one set to try and fix em and they still dont cut.So i did not mess with the other ones(All gold scissors).
I guess for what they cost their not that bad if they cut.But i find it hard to believe i bought 3 bad pair out of 4.
Could be that i bought them at Cabelas dunno.gif and they restocked some returns.
I will be getting the Anvils for sure.

#7 JarrodRuggles

JarrodRuggles

Banned from fishing in 48 states~!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

remeber ....dont use the slick as darts nono.gif nono.gif biggrin.gif
banned from fishing the other 2 states...

#8 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:06 PM

I've not used the Dr. Slicks although I am interested in any feedback anyone may have in the ones with the serated blades. I pretty much live by my Anvils.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#9 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:04 AM

During the past 30 years I have used all types of scissors.

Big snips, small snips expensive snips, economy snips, Fly snips, sewing snips, normal snips and odd looking snips.

Two years ago while visiting the local flea market; I picked up a pair of Scissors (brand new still in the sealed package) for $1.00. I brought them home and tied a few flies. I died and went to tiers Heaven. St Peter told me I have received the golden Snips created by God just for fly-tying.

user posted image

I went back to the market the following week and bought all 6 pair. I have given 3 pair away, Have one hidden in a secret spot (mentioned in my will).and keep two on my bench.

These are the best I ever found and only paid $1.00. The fit in your palm while tying and are small enough they do not interfere with finger dexterity. The guys I gave them to love them and are indebted to me for life

They are made by Fiskars and are called "ShortCut Snip #94957097"
You can go to the fiskars web site, enter your zip code and find your local distributor.

Conehead
PS: I do not work for Fiskars
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#10 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

user posted image

Trying to post a pic of the snips

Go to photo gallery, Misc, number 1

conehead
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#11 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:17 AM

I have 7 pairs of scissors, use them all, 4 Dr. Slicks, and 2 Tiemco's. Once I paid about $50 for a pair, I cant remember which one but I would hope it's the fine tipped Tiemcos', they rock for close work. The Dr. Slicks are good and one of these I use more than the others combined.
Graham

#12 nycolumbia

nycolumbia

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (fishinlk @ Jan 25 2005, 09:06 PM)
I've not used the Dr. Slicks although I am interested in any feedback anyone may have in the ones with the serated blades. I pretty much live by my Anvils.

A friendly Note To All:

We are Leading Manufacturers and Wholesale Distributors of Fly Tying Scissors in Sets Of Three. Big Gold or Black Loops. Superb Quality With Lowest Direct Factory prices. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, Visit our Website for full details, pictures and prices....

Set Contain (1) 4.5" Hair Scissors, (1) 4" All Purpose Scissors And (1) 3.5" Arrow Scissors. Black Loop Scissors also have Tungsten Carbide Tips For life long sharpness.

Like to mention here that we are also one of the suppliers to Dr. Slick Company - MT. We request you to check our Scissors before you try elsewhere? 100% Satisfaction guaranteed...

Visit our website;

http://nycolumbia.ho...m/scissors.html

Thanks and Good Luck !

#13 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Hummm
That very interesting nycolumbia

I also have a friendly note
Make sure you get prior approval before posting advertisements

OSD.
user posted image

#14 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (nycolumbia @ Mar 28 2005, 11:47 AM)
"A friendly Note To All:

We are Leading Manufacturers and Wholesale Distributors of Fly Tying Scissors ..."

Et Cetera

NYColumbia- Please contact me via Email or PM.

Thank You.

#15 Realtor

Realtor

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

I'd recommend a quality suturing scissors- the one's made in Germany. These scissors are made with quality stainless steel that stays sharp and have very fine tips. To me, these are perfect for fly tying.