Fly Tying
rainbow27

Favorite dry fly(poll)

Favorite style dry fly  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Favorites change often and I don't have any all time one fly. I have found neat looking dries, like AK Best style, and the Spain type hackles, kept my attention much more than others have, so they must be my all time favorite styles, but not flies. Everyone knows what AK's beauties look like but don't know the Spanish type patterns. Here are a couple. They are tied with Coq de Leon. One has the tippet tied in under the entire body (don't mistake it for thread) and out in front of the hackle. But you can snip off the tippet if it gets old because my hooks have eyes. What makes these so special is the manner of the tapered body ending flat at the hackle tie in point. Not tapered to the head as a normal dry. They drilled a hole through vise jaws to place the eye in without crushing in the jaws. The body can be wrapped as if standing against a wall (jaws). Normally the hackle is a bit longer than standard and trimmed out in an inverted "V" shape on the bottom (lays nice on water). It is a challenging and fun fly to tie. You can use an old cheap Indian vise with soft jaws to drill a hole for the eye to fit in until you finish the body, then move to your main vise. I made a tool from a small vise grip but it was still cumbersome. I thought of using a hair packer but can't figure how to keep it in place. Thought you might enjoy the challenge too. The other fly, a small green caddis, is tied with trimmed Coq de Leon but you can use any oversized dry hackle. It just will not fish as well. Google Paco Soria Ugly Fly and see instructions. Works great and are the best floating dries without foam or floatants. I've caught more trout on his style Uglies than any other dry fly. They look so real on the water you have to keep your eyes on them when naturals are present.

img52a34d85cfae2.jpg

img52a354633ed48.jpg

Gotta say royal wulf, now just to tie them as nice as some of the ones posted on here( trout don't seem to care as much as I do)

I tie all of the above, but the majority of my fishing ends up being done with parachutes...or Stimulators, but I usually just use those as indicators on a dry-dropper rig when prospecting new waters.

I agree, they all do work.

I prefer a comparadun because it sits low in the water and can be taken as an emerger or dun.