Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

background question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,296 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

jc

thanks for the tip

The fish care less than we do!

#17 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

Hi Norm,

I used my colored tee shirts as a background color for some of the not so great pics that I've posted here. If you wear any, or some other type of shirt that's black, try that first as background before running around shopping for a certain sheet of something. 

Regards,

Mark

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

On the fly picture, with the black background, there's no reflected light.  It looks good.  The whole sheet picture shows reflection.

If your black background material is on a hard surface (taped to a piece of cardboard, say), then you can lean it slightly forward.  If the bottom of the background is just an inch farther back than the top, any reflection should be downwards.  None of it will show in the photo ... showing completely black background.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,296 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

thanks mark. great suggestion. t shirts are $3 at walmart

my black background currently leans like this  /

i will try to lean like this  \

The fish care less than we do!

#20 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

I like the look of a black background, too, but the problem with that is you lose the nice looking even black tips on your wing, one of that fly's better features when well tied, as yours always are...

If you don't like the tan-tone to match what's going on in the fly maybe burgundy on that fly, would help the tan and black wing stand out while matching it better than the blue.

Just my 2c
cb27