Fly Tying
breambuster

The Essential Fly Box

WE ARE FULL!!

Time to host a new swap following our move. Ready? Ok, here's the scenario. You have just won a major sweepstakes and the prize is 4 weeks of fly fishing, all expenses paid. Your first week will be fishing the Catskills. Week 2 is a week in the Great Smokies. You will spend your 3rd week in Yellowstone, and the last week is fishing in the Southern Rockies. Sound like fun? Ok, here's the catch. You can take along only 1 fly box for the entire trip and you can only take 13 flies. The 12 swappers and the Swapmeister will stock that box. As you sign up, look at which flies have already been chosen and make your choice wisely. If you were the imaginary fisherman in this scenario, which flies would you want in your box? I would think you would want a tradition dry fly, a parachute dry, a nymph, a terrestrial and a streamer to name just a few. But which pattern? If you could only have 1 or 2 of each type of fly, what would you take and what would you leave behind?

The first 12 to sign up are in. All the standard swap rules and practices apply. (SASE, crush proof box, 12 flies, all the same pattern, size etc) When you sign up, specify what pattern you are tying. The swap is open. Who wants in?

1. Swapmeister - Peacock and Partridge Soft Hackle.
2. Fishingbobnelson - Bivisables - Received
3. Woodenlegs - Stimulator - Received
4. Wmw4 - Sculpin
5. Rick Zieger - PTN - Received
6. Troutguy - Thunder Creek BND
7. Vicrider - Crackleback/Dropper - Received
8. Trout - a - Control - Yellow Sally - Received
9. Joshpilon08 - Clouser Minnow - Received
10. Netabrookie - Royal Wulff - Received
11. J-Kno - Jig Style Frenchie - Received
12. Old Hat - Gold Ribbed Hare Flymph - Received
13. R2732 - 9-3 Bucktail - Received

WE ARE FULL!!

OK, guys. Thanks! We will decide on a due date when everyone signs up. Not sure how long that will take, but it will be somewhere around the middle or the last of October. Plenty of time.

Fishingbobnelson, I'm an East Coast guy and know NOTHING about trout fishing West of the Mississippi, and I know precious little about trout fishing right where I'm at! And, now, I wouldn't do this for just anybody, but since it's you, you can spend your last week in the Sierra Nevada. (It's that in the Southern Rockies?) It's in the Southwest, anyway. At any rate, I'm delighted to sign you up with Bivisables.

Woodenlegs, you are in with a Simulator, and thanks! I'm glad to be back. Just remember that I have found my fly tying stuff. It's in a couple of large totes, but my tools are, like so many other things I'd like to have, "in a box, somewhere!" Long story, don't get me started!

And Wmw4, glad to have you join us with a sculpin pattern. I'll be glad to accommodate you on a due date, No worries. Thanks for have you sign up for this one.

Who's next? Who else wants to join us?

Oh, yeah. And for everyone else as well, I've thought of 3 different Scenarios for swaps during this "down" period, and right now, I can think of 2 of them! We will be doing lots of stuff going forward.

BB

Okay, I'm in. Will look over the offerings tomorrow and make a decision. I'm thinking along the lines of a high floating Crackleback with a dropper down to a small zebra midge. Done this before and it works out pretty well. Yeah, I'll go with that. Crackleback with a dropper.

Did I hear Smoky Mountains?? I would love to tie up my version of a yellow sally... Late October due date would be best. Just getting back from Maternity Leave! (Assuming yall will have me for this swap...)

So Trouta_Control, that means you can finally reach the vise again? Hoping all went well and you had bouncing baby ???

Haha yes, I can reach the vise now that I dont have a big ol belly between me & the table and my future little fisherman naps (sometimes) for an hour or two! But yes, baby boy is happy, healthy, and a handful!

Congrats TC, but as for the belly and the vise I will say mine saves me a lot of things that would otherwise hit the floor. I build a seal between me and the tying table with it. Having been a proud Papa a few times I know about those little naps they like to take during the day so they keep you up half the night.

Rick, it's great to have you join us. We certainly need at least 1 PTN, so I'm glad you're going to tie one up for us. Thanks for joining.

Troutguy, it's great to hear from you. I'm delighted to have you in here. I'm looking forward to seeing your Thunder Creek, BND, We need a streamer.

Vicrider, I'm really glad that you decided to join us. I know your Crackleback/Dropper will be a great addition to our box.

Trouta-Control, I think this is the first time we've swapped. It's nice to have a Young Lady join us. Thanks for signing up. And I'm excited that you are going to tie a Yellow Sally for us. I'm looking forward to seeing that one. Congratulations on the "Little One!" I wish you all the very best.

Only 5 more slots to go. If you're thinking about it, don't think too long.

Take care

BB