Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Casting for Recovery - Inaugeral "Swap" for Australia

Guys and girls... inspired by FishingBob I've been looking for something like this in Australia for a while now.... And finally... It's happened!

Australia's first Chapter of "Casting for Recovery" is being operated out of Canberra (our Nation's capital) by the A.C.T Flyfishers. This is great, because while to some of you the idea of trout in Australia is a little outside the square, we have some great fisheries, in both stream and lake, that originated from the introduction of trout about a 100 years ago or so.

In this instance, the location of Canberra, and accessibility provides the ladies a great chance to fish some our picturesque subalpine and alpine lakes, such as the Eucambene and Tantangara Reservoirs.

Anyhoo... The next event is being held later this year. And that's where you come in!

The aim for the event is to have 12 women participate in the retreat, so I am asking for 11 "swappers / donors" (plus myself). I have yet to approach a stockist for some little boxes to put the flies in for the ladies (but hopefully we'll get there).

When I asked about flies the list came as follows:

unweighted and weighted pheasant tail nymphs: #12 to #16;
hare and copper nymphs: #12 to #16;
olive or black woolly buggers: #10 to #12;
parachute adams: #14 to #16; and
elk hair caddis: #14 to #16

The only specific request they had was that if we could use barbless hooks if possible.
I will ask for participants to tie 2 examples of each so that each of the 12 ladies end up with a little box of 10 flies.

SM: Li'lDave - done
2. netabrookie - arrived
3. Horseshoes - arrived
4. fishingbobnelson - arrived
5. retrocarp - arrived
6. vicrider - arrived
7. PJ2 in the mail
8. decisions - arrived
9. Idaho RC - arrived
10. jburge - arrived
11. Adam saarinen - arrived
12. Done

Please comment with I'm in. At this stage my correspondence has been solely via email, however if you wish to do some research for yourself you will find these guys, and see that they have just held the first Australian CfR retreat this year.

Plenty of time for those that want to play. August 31 will be the deadline to have them in my hands here, which will give me time to sort out the boxes and get them down to their new homes.

Thank you.

Count me in....is it okay if i tie extra p t nymphs instead of adams ? I don't think I have the materials for the adams.

Thanks guys, you too Retro!

Sure mate. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.

I'm in!

Going for a good cause!

hats off to you LilDave for getting this together.

i will have to start tying tonight to get them to you on time though! LOL

Cheers, Ron...

If I have this right you want 12 each of 2 of the patterns. Is that right? I already have natural hares ear and a bunch of green elk hair cadiis tied. I would be happy to send them.

Thanks boys. welcome

Idaho,

2 each of all patterns, so there are five patterns listed meaning each "swapper" will tie 10 flies. Clear as mud?? :D

Hope you don't get offended if there are more than just 10 flies.

What size of trouts do you have in these rivers?

standard sizes mate. anything up to a few pounds....

best to keep the numbers fairly uniform for the boxes, but we can always provide a little extra here and there.