Fly Tying
Dripster

Do you name your flies??

I have a question for you other tyers. Do you name your flies. I seem to always give my flies some quirky name like the woolybuggers for Shoe's swap I named them "Dripster's Widowbugger". I must be weird. dunno.gif I name some others like too and I was wondering if others do it to.

Happy name calling.

Dripster

No, I don't unless you consider "No Name" and "No Name 2" names. Naming a fly after yourself is pretentious, but if other people happen to call your fly "Billy Bob's Wiggler" that would be an honor of sorts.

To me naming flies is fairly difficult since its hard to draw a line between established patterns and new ones.

So I usually cheeze out with either a stupid hybridization of names or just name the fly after the materials used to make the variant.

The hard part is finding a name that hasn't been used or making sure it's not already an established fly by another name. I only put a name on if it's totally different than anything I've seen. And why not wink.gif

Ken cool.gif

I'm not big on naming flies after myself. People will just change a material on a pattern and it becomes "Jims Caddis" etc. I agree, this is pretentious, the only flies in my opinion that really deserve to be named after their creator is the clouser minnow and lefty deciever. Most popular flies have cool names so when I make one up I try to think up of something creative but that also hints to what I am trying to imitate.

I'm just a bit insane with the fly names, usually come out in a trip with little sleep and long drives

a baked potato with melted butta: white muddler with yellow zonker on the back.

I call an elk hair caddis: "Don't ask" so when people ask me what I;m using I can say, "Don't ask"

laugh.gif

My question, since the way I thought you meant the question and other people perceived it, do you mean using your name when creating a flyname, or do you just mean simply "giving a title" to the fly?

I never cared for actualy putting your name on the fly. Now, if your name is put on it by someone else, that's different. Personally, I don't find any problem putting a "name" to a fly that you've either created or changed to your liking. Just that if it's still fairly similar to the "original" pattern, keep that original patterns name on it. BUT, I NEVER name a fly unless it's held some value while fishing. Most of my patterns I create have been tested. There have been a few though I've named before testing. But those are more the exception then the rule.

I do.

"Notta Bugger"

"All-or-Nothing"

I also have no problem naming a fly after myself. If i sat at the vise and made it, set out on the water and tested it, came back to the vise and made whatever changes necessary to make it a fish catching fly I will name it after myself with great joy!

I won't force anybody else to call it that, but if a man does the work he deserves the credit unless he shifts it elsewhere.

I call an elk hair caddis: "Don't ask" so when people ask me what I;m using I can say, "Don't ask"
laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've named a couple of my flys, I don't know why but for one in particular a name came to mind and it seemed to fit the fly perfectly. I don't think a person should tie, say a quill gordon, the same way so and so said to tie it in the newest flyfishing magazine and call it there own, but if any aspect of the fly is your own special modification then it's not so and so's quill gordon anymore it's yours to name whatever you want.

I am not trying to be "pretentious"when I brought up this topic. I think some people are getting caried away with it. I name my flies after me because I made them. I would never steal someones fly and put my name on it. I am in no way shape or form in the same league as Clouser and the rest of the worlds great tyers and don't claim to be. I give my flies "quirky" names and I was just wondering if others did it too.

Dripster