Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Dubbing brush machine

Hey guys, so other than the cheap and small cyclone tool, and the stonfo tool, anyone recommend one that is quick and easy to use? That makes large brushes, and can help me create a ton of brushes quickly? That isnt crazy expensive? I have the opportunity to tie up some flies for the local fly shop and that fly would be greatly improved and time reduced with some good quality brushes. The faster I tie these the more money i make. So while I dont want to spend a ton of money, I also need to make sure it makes the brushes quickly and can make them long. Short brushes from my cyclone tool are getting quite annoying. I can only tie 2 flies per brush, and would like to get 4-5 tied with each brush. Maybe if they can make 2 brushes, that would be great! At least 18...

If you do any wood working, you can probably make a better tool than you can buy. There are several on YouTube and I remember a few detailed on here.

Good luck

I saw an article long ago about doing something like this on a porch rail 8 or 10 feet at a time with just a nail and a battery powered drill motor.

Hey guys, so other than the cheap and small cyclone tool, and the stonfo tool, anyone recommend one that is quick and easy to use? That makes large brushes, and can help me create a ton of brushes quickly? That isnt crazy expensive? I have the opportunity to tie up some flies for the local fly shop and that fly would be greatly improved and time reduced with some good quality brushes. The faster I tie these the more money i make. So while I dont want to spend a ton of money, I also need to make sure it makes the brushes quickly and can make them long. Short brushes from my cyclone tool are getting quite annoying. I can only tie 2 flies per brush, and would like to get 4-5 tied with each brush. Maybe if they can make 2 brushes, that would be great! At least 18...

You want a spinning block as seen in the link below:

https://shop.siman.cz/art_turbo_spinning_block/instructions.pdf

I bought on built by Jim Smith. The photo is below.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?25384-Dubbing-Brush-Twisters-part-Duex

36727373870_c0dfede797_c.jpg

some sort of hook like maybe the one in SilverCreek's pic, a board as long as you need it and your vise. Hook in vise and use the rotary function of the vice to spin to spin your thread or wire.

Thanks, that first one will probably work, now I gotta figure out how to buy it.

I really wish I could get that 2nd one on the YouTube video. Looks like a good one, just they dont say where to get it or give instructions how to make it. Lol!

In regards to me doing wood working. I live in an RV currently. I dont have the tools or room to make one. Gotta buy unfortunately.

You don't need a motor on a brush maker. Spinning one with a hand wheel takes no time at all. The time savings by the addition of a motor would not be worth the expense or effort for ME. I made my own with a hand wheel. I have sewing machine motors (I just can't pass up a sewing machine motor when I find one) laying around doing nothing but I won't waste one on a brush maker.

You can cobble one together with nothing more then a drill (for working with not powering the brush maker) a small hand saw and some inexpensive hardware store items. There is really not much precision or fancy skills needed to make one. Most of the ones I see are way over engineered. Not that there is anything wrong with that but they simply don't have to be if you don't want it to be. Here's mine. It makes brushes easily and quickly. You could make yours as long as you like.

post-48414-0-56271000-1570755170_thumb.jpg

The issue I'm seeing, when trying to buy one, is that they're all about the same length. Perhaps that's the best length. Too long and the wire might break before you twist it far enough.

If you want longer brushes, you will likely have to build one. Or have it made for you.

From a few friends that copied the machine from James Smith. They made the wood block longer, but had trouble getting the far end wrapped tight before the wire broke by the hook on the turning wheel. They all have cut the length down so the brushes are sturdier.

Rick

The problem I see with the Smith design is the table doesn't drop down out of the way when twisting and there is no spring on the tail hook. Dropping the table allows the material to spin more freely and not clump as much which allows for a tighter twist. The spring on the tail hook I see as very important as it allows constant pressure while allowing the brush wire to shrink as it twists and tightens. Personally, I view this design as the least desirable for large dubbing brushes as compared to what amounts to a dubbing loop made at the vise.

I would think a brush long enough to make even three flies would be awkward to handle on the first fly and half worn out from handling on the last fly. I believe I could build a rig that could make twists three feet long but how would you hold and handle such a thing?

setting the vise up facing a second vise and using a stack of books or what ever for the table would be a quick easy way to increase length by turning the vises in opposing directions?

>ed or make poop's machine with two cranks

Without question with length comes diminishing returns in the tightness or durability department. Perhaps one should question why it matters if your getting 2 or 3 flys from one brush. After the first fly is done and the brush is cut it effectively becomes a second brush and a third brush after the second fly. If the time saved by making one lesser quality brush for three flys over 2 better quality brushes for four flies is that important to the bottom line then I would look for a different way to earn a living. That's just me.