Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Mantis shrimp

Took a stab at a prototype mantis shrimp pattern. Not sure how many fish are willing to take on these nasty buggers. I have had them in my reef tank on occasion and any fish less than a couple of inches is fair game. Think I might beef up the carapace a bit next time and exaggerate the eyes. Still trying to learn these shrimpy and crabby patterns. This site is great for ideas. Thanks. Anyway, comments welcome.

post-50086-0-54324300-1393599331_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-15913900-1393599368_thumb.jpg

CG and PJ, thanks for taking a look. Looks like the Commonwealth (VA) is going to be snowed in again. I am running out of ideas--guess I will try and learn some deer hair patterns. Haven't learned that technique yet, but looking like I will have plenty of time to practice between clearing the driveway and the neighbors' driveways! That's the downside to owning a snowblower.

Blowing the neighbor's drive is a small price to pay for saying "C ya" to the shovel. :) They are a wonderful tool.

Blowing the neighbor's drive is a small price to pay for saying "C ya" to the shovel. smile.png They are a wonderful tool.

Now there's a line I'm not gonna touch with a ten-foot 7wt.

Skimmer, you've inspired me to fool around with a mantis pattern - gotta see what I can come up with. I know mantises make good flounder bait; they're also reputed to be good eating, although I've never seen enough of them to make it worthwhile; it's not like they travel in schools. Hey, it looks like a humdinger blowing in tomorrow. All it takes is a couple inches of snow here for civilization to collapse completely. It's like a demolition derby out there when the roads get slippery. Gonna be a good day to tie a few flies and think about spring.

I should have mentioned I have a bunch of neighbors, even worse. I think I am going to just set the thing on the curb with a sign saying "Please return when done." On second thought, that would be the last I see of it.

I did another version of that fly with the front claws extended. Looks a bit too much like a grasshopper but I am not ashamed to post since nothing else seems to be going on around here.

As an aside, my buddy caught one of these shrimp on a hunk of cut bait two summers ago out of Oyster.

post-50086-0-28404300-1393778767_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like that'll catch. Yeah, pretty quiet around here. Panama Dave's recovering from surgery and the rest of the crew's out at the North American Deviants' Alliance's Spring Cotillion and Indecent Exposure Tournament in Boise, Idaho. I would have gone myself, but I was banned last year for violating the NADA dress code. (wearing white pumps out of season) Too bad - I was looking forward to seeing Ditz pick up his Flasher of the Year award.

post-281-0-59819500-1393784607_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like that'll catch. Yeah, pretty quiet around here. Panama Dave's recovering from surgery and the rest of the crew's out at the North American Deviants' Alliance's Spring Cotillion and Indecent Exposure Tournament in Boise, Idaho. I would have gone myself, but I was banned last year for violating the NADA dress code. (wearing white pumps out of season) Too bad - I was looking forward to seeing Ditz pick up his Flasher of the Year award.

THis is what I love about you, PeterJay.

Is that you holding up the "9"??? I didn't know participants could dress in drag and also be judges !!!

Boy, there's no fooling you, Mike. That is indeed yours truly. FYI: I've never relinquished my amateur status in the flashing community; thus I'm allowed to judge indecent exposure competitions with no conflict of interest. However, the pure streaking events are sanctioned by an entirely different body, from which I've been expelled. I ran afoul of the rules committee when I wore steel spikes on the putting green at Augusta National while streaking the 2009 Masters' Tournament. Picky, picky, picky.

In fact, I have gone to more than one party as a flasher. I usually run into a couple of prudes that take offense to the idea. Some folks just have no sense of humor. Nor do they have any tolerance of abhorant behavior. Sure glad there is nobody on this forum that fits that description. ........By the way....I have just put my new award in the "trophy case"........

Blowing the neighbor's drive is a small price to pay for saying "C ya" to the shovel. smile.png They are a wonderful tool.

Well, that was fun. Ended up shoveling after all.

Only 7 inches though, not quite what you would expect from a storm called "Titan."

We only got an inch or two here, but it's just as miserable outside as it looks. (believe it or not, it was 66 degrees yesterday) Even my pal Smokey is happy to be inside. I didn't go off the doorstep today, and I plan to do the same tomorrow. It should be all gone by Wednesday or so. Good riddance - I hope that's it for the year.

post-281-0-78927500-1393891716_thumb.jpg

Same conditions here PJ.......we got some ice under the snow too. Mid 60's Sunday. Ice, snow, and 20 degrees Monday.