Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

9' 7wt 3pc

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

I didn't know JB weld offered a fast cure now. I've used that in the past for various project fixes and the only thing i didn't like was the long cure time. Good to know they have a fast cure now.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#32 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

I didn't know JB weld offered a fast cure now. I've used that in the past for various project fixes and the only thing i didn't like was the long cure time. Good to know they have a fast cure now.

I think it's 20 minute but it starts kicking around 12-15 minutes in.

I once repaired a water pump housing on a chevy celebrity with JB weld and my wife drove it another 200,000 miles. Internal repair where the water pump blades had worn through it. So antifreeze was there against the repair for years.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#33 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

It's one of those rare things that actually does what it says. I use to be big time into big lifted trucks and muddin/off-roading. Had a big blazer that cracked one of the ears off the tranfer case to trans mount so JB welded the two back together. It actually held up for years even with more off roading. Also my Lamson reel stripped the two screws out of the reel foot a good 5 years ago...give ya one guess what has been holding them together since then lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#34 xterrabill

xterrabill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

just wanted to let you know that the rod casts beautiful, far and accurate.

I am not just saying that to be nice, I really like it a lot!

the line lays out perfect, nice loop, feels light and is a pleasure to cast.

I picked up an Allen reel 6/7, I believe its an earlier version of the trout 2 (cheap used on ebay), very light weight, and

new line (Rio 7fwf) and it all matched up better than I had hoped for.

I did epoxy a dime to the butt and took it out for a test run today,

caught 7 small blue gills on elk hair caddis, yellow bead chain streamer and a green drake.

sorry no pics, forgot the my phone.

I was a little skeptical of the small eyelets, but now I like them, less slapping against the rod as you said

and I can haul/double haul it out without restriction (less friction then I thought), the grip is solid but has

a slightly different shape then I am used to, my sage has me spoiled in that area.

all in all its one hell of a great rod and I HIGHLY recommend to anyone on this site to give Midwest custom fly rods

a try, you will not be disappointed.

I sincerely thank you Steve,

you make a great rods!

Xterrabill 

I am no longer a screw up, I am an experienced screw up.

#35 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:43 AM

A fast cure for JB might be a week, or two. 

It is the only two part product that does not work well for me at all.

Maybe it is just for Chevys? My cousin likes it and he's a Chevy guy,

#36 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:44 AM

Xterrabill, we need pictures of that beauty with fish in the frame.

#37 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:16 AM

If it's taking a week or better for JB Weld to cure ... you're mixing it wrong.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#38 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:26 AM

I have never waited that long, but it never seems to cure even when you mix it for me. Or if it cures it does not adhere. Do you have a chevy too?

I have used many kinds of epoxy and two part products and JB Weld is the only one I have had fail and it fails repeatedly.

edit> maybe I am expecting too much from it, I can get better results from Elmers or Duco.

#39 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

You either are not mixing it evenly or something tjm, I've used it numerous times and some things I have used it on it saw a LOT of stress/pressure so there has to be a reason it doesn't work for you. And believe me I am the type of person that is extremely skeptical of products like JB weld. Back in my gearhead days I use to make fun of it all the time till I actually tried it and was shocked how well it worked. I don't know if it's possible to get a bad batch of it but if so maybe you just got a bad batch or something

Bill glad to hear you like the rod. The SF minima guides are something I have come to really love for fly rods over the years for just the reason you mentioned. They reduce friction by taking away line slap which makes for a better casting rod. Most people that have never used them before seem to quickly become minima converts as soon as they cast a rod with them on it it seems.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#40 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

Do you have a chevy too?

No, I don't.  But when I did ... it never needed JB or any other kind of epoxy.  Perhaps you should get one, so you won't have to use any repair methods either.

biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#41 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Vicente..several years ago i had some cork inserts i wanted to fit to some skeleton seats but they were too loose fitting..so i flocked the whole insert and it fit snugly into skeleton parts..instead of epoxy i just applied a few drops of super glue and it wicked through the flock and secured everything..i had to assemble and get all the parts lined up first..i was concerned that when i installed the reel that something would pop loose..so far no problems..this is the only application i can see for super gluing a handle..only for gluing inserts..

#42 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

I got enough rocks already, I don't bother repairing them either. My cousins used to to tell me "chevy is easy to work on" my answer " I don't want to work on it".

My thing with JB is probably lack of patience as much as anything. I can drill and tap or weld or braze or use twenty-leven other adhesives and be done today. Doublemint works for some.

#43 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

I have never waited that long, but it never seems to cure even when you mix it for me. Or if it cures it does not adhere. Do you have a chevy too?

I have used many kinds of epoxy and two part products and JB Weld is the only one I have had fail and it fails repeatedly.

edit> maybe I am expecting too much from it, I can get better results from Elmers or Duco.

It's always worked well for me and so does the new fast cure. Never had a problem at all. All I can say is don't ever get into rod wrapping resin LOL ! That you have to have exactly equal parts to within a drop or so, especially Flexcoat...I bet I've used JB weld successfully for more than 30 years in one iteration or another.. Sometimes people don't realize that the standard cure stuff is an overnight cure. If you try to rush assembly it will fail.

By the way, I first ran into JB Weld in drag racing. The Modified class  engine builders were porting heads where they broke into the water jackets and then blending that leak free with JB weld as part of the routine back in the 1970's. Intake manifolds too. So when I picked up this celebrity with a blown water pump and it was remove the engine to replace the housing or try the JB Weld I tried the JB Weld. And As I said she drove that car another 200,000 miles ( she was a floating store manager at the time so racked up miles like crazy).

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#44 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

Dave, i can,t let you knock Flex Coat..lol. i,ve been using it for the last 100 mercury years and never got a bad mix because i always used syringes and 3cc. per each part and the glues can easily be just eyeballed..if you don,t use syringes, i don,t think it matters what brand of finishing epoxy you use, you open yourself to mistakes..

#45 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

Flex coat is a tad more touchy when it comes to mix ratio than other brands of finishes, but not terribly touchy though. I think over the years I have tried pretty much all of them, flex coat, glas coat, Diamond2, Amtak's finish (cant recall the name of theirs) Threadmaster and Threadmaster Lite. The one I have settled on and like best for the past 10 years is Threadmaster.  I think the most important thing when it comes to finish is to pick one and get use to its little quirks. Once you know what a certain finish takes to get good results then the brand becomes secondary.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com