Fly Tying
troutguy

June is Cahill swap time

A Cahill swap. SWAP IS FULL

I am missing the Beaverkill, Monguap, Neversink and the Willowemoc this Spring. Although not missing the 4 to 6 inches of snow they got.

The Cahill hatch occurs from the end of May through June depending upon where you live. The Cahill is one of the most beloved Catskill flies originated by Dan Cahill of Port Jervis, NY. according to some it was improved by Theodore Gordon and the version we tie today was first tied by William Chandler on the Neversink River. The Cahill varied slightly in color from sub species and tier interpretation. My favorite often forgotten Catskill tier Mahlon Davidson, who tied a very light green Cahill version called the Davidson Special. The light fox was colored by dyeing in willow bark to a very pale light green. I'm a transplant from the NY Catskills to the Carolinas. I fish the Davidson (no relation to Mahlon) in North Carolina. The stream has intense pressure. Year round constant pressure. I always find the Davidson Special to work there. I believe because of the uniqueness. My fishing friends say it is my 12 foot 7x leader and presentation. I want to believe the magic of the fly.

This swap is Light Cahill dry flies. Duns, emergers, spinners are all welcome.

Mine are ready to go. I tied a dozen following Mahlon Davidson's size 14 Davidson Special recipe from the early 1900's. I guarantee you will catch trout with these. Divided wood duck wings, standard light dun hackle with pale green fox blend bodies and wood duck tail.

Any dry fly Cahill type is welcome. Emergers are fine. What is your go to Cahill pattern or something old or new to challenge your tying skills.

First twelve tiers or tyers are welcome.

Due date is May 25th so you can have them in time to fish them.

1. Troutguy

2. JayWirth ARRIVED

3. Stabgnid ARRIVED

4. FishingBobNelson ARRIVED

5. Wetsock ARRIVED

6. Idaho RC ARRIVED

7. Jmckaughan ARRIVED

8. Vicrider ARRIVED

9. Jburge ARRIVED

10. PJ2 ARRIVED

11. Jacktjl ARRIVED

12. Dubs ARRIVED

Thank you Jay.

I think you tied Cahills for a dry fly swap a few years ago. If I remember you tie a NICE Catskill fly.

I will jump in with a parachute. Tying some Dark Cahills for skill builder swap so these will fit in nicely

I will jump in with a parachute. Tying some Dark Cahills for skill builder swap so these will fit in nicely

I'm assuming your Dark Cahills for the skill swap are the wet fly version? I jumped the gun and tied a dozen dries for that swap, then sent them off to a different swap.

Trout guy, I'll pile on. Are you really wanting Cahills only or Classic New England patterns. If we can vary some I'd like to do a Quill Gordon. Otherwise I'll look for a Cahill tie that won't just be a dupe of everybody's.

Thank you Idaho RC, jmckaughan, vicrider and jburge for joining.

Vicrider your take on a Cahill. It is interesting what everone fishes for a Cahill. I myself have been fishing an offbeat Cahill pattern I saw years ago. The Cahill was tied with almost bright white tail, white body, white hackle and dyed yellow wood duck divided wings. I was fishing in Vermont and the Cahill were hatching. They looked like snow flakes. Much lighter than the "normal" Cahill.

Save those Quill Gordons. That sounds like a good pattern swap title later.