Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boba

Quick bobbin threading

If you need to thread a bobbin and don't already use a looped floss threader (made of mono for tooth care to insert floss between tight teeth) and your bobbin doesn't have too much crud/wax built-up in the tube, stretch a 1"+ length of thread from the spool, cut the end at a sharp angle, wet it and insert it in the bobbin end and suck it through to the delivery end. It takes about ten seconds and is way better than trying to poke the thing through.

Credit for this goes to several of my instructors at United Fly Tyers meetings years ago. I have no idea who originated it, but that's how I learned it. It is much quicker than any other method I've seen.

I've never owned a bobin threader. That's the way I learned how to do it, and that's how I've always done it. One less tool to find on the desk clutter.

That is how I learned to do it. Friends think I am crazy but hey what do your friends really know?

I just cut the thread square and then suck it through the tube. Alot of times Ill start the tread in the tube and it will slide all the way through.

I thought I'd finally post this bobbin threader. The idea's not mine but when I heard the guitar string I knew I had plenty of them and I could design something to work. You take a .011 gauge steel string, bend and cut to length so it will go the distance of the bobbin neck and a an inch or so past. Size a small diameter paint brush for a handle and make a cut with a utility knife blade. You secure the wire into the brush handle cut using tape if needed and seal the end with 5 minute epoxy. The tool is pictured just below the bobbin.

IPB Image

You can buy individual strings at any music store for less than a dollar. This one is at least 20 years old and works on the first shot every time B) .

I used to do the cut and suck, but the mystery lumps were a tad aaggghhhnoying. I use a serger threader which threads and cleans at the same time. I buy them at pretty much any sewing shop for $1.98 Can.

Sign in to follow this