Fly Tying

I have been looking at getting another reel. I had looked at Ross evolution 1.5, evolution LT, and Animus, Galvan have been looking at the Brookie. Any thoughts on which way to go? Also the Brookie I can get a 4-5 wt with line for $250 new.

Having owned a ton of various reels over the past 30 yrs( Ross, Sage, Harris, Okuma, Redington, Orvis, and many others) I will say this, probably the nicest quality and smoothest drag reel I have ever owned was my Galvan T8. I wish I had never sold that reel.

Agreed. Older Ross'es were great, simple, reliable reels but the newer ones just do not have the same reputation. Galvan over the same period has maintained a solid reputation. I have both old and new Ross reels and a few Galvans too, and I would pick Galvan over them any day as long as you are willing to pay the premium.

Both of them look like pretty reels. The Colorado one comes in a pretty blue color.

Both are about $200.00 above my price range.

Good luck with whichever one you chose.

Sierra trading post has the lamson lightspeed for 200$ right now msrp is 375 made in the usa.

I order a good amount of items from them typically older model stuff that's exactly the same as the hot new item but at half the price.

Steeldrifter makes some great custom rods at a very fair price.

I have a Ross colorado 1, and a Galvan Lt 5, I really like the Galvan reels, and would at looking getting another.

Looks like you want a spring and pawl reel made in the U.S., that narrows the list considerably.

The Brookie is smooth and nice, but its drag check is very different from any reel out there. I like it except it's very quiet, and I like a noisy reel.

The Ross is nice too, it's check is simple and straightforward, and has a nice sounding click.