Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Anyone has a cavapoo? (Dog breed)

Thinking about getting one for the kids.

Interested mostly in finding a breeder you may know and have good things to say about.

No offense intended, but I hate the "mixed-named" designer breed dogs. Wait, let me rephrase that ... I LOVE the dogs ... I just hate the pretentious name and the prices that usually go along with that. They're mutts.

No pedigree and just a way to sell mixed breed dogs for WAY more than the breeders deserve to get.

I'd bet the local pound has some mutts that look VERY similar to that for the price of shots and a bag of dog food.

GO to the pound ... don't reward a "breeder" for mixing blood lines for a quick buck.

No problem with the mixing. I have a problem with the mass producing, mixed breed or pure.

I am finding out that the breeders that really care about the pups are the small, family owned type places. And there are not many of those around here for Cavapoos.

It is easy to find the puppies through online “brokers”, but they have not convinced us so far.

And, yes, the prices can be ridiculous.

I'm not going to argue "breeders vs. puppy mills", since there's very little difference.

Just, please, check out the pound before laying out cash for a "cavapoo" or any other mutt with a made up name. If you're looking for cute, smart dogs, it's hard to beat the pound puppy that WANTS to be a family member.

We presently have a miniature poodle, yorkie, maltese, and shithzu maltese mix. They are all rescues.

Of all of the dogs we have had in 36 years not a single one came from a breeder. 1 was from the pound, the other 9, rescues.

We have usually floated around 2 to 4 at a time depending on circumstances.

I get it guys, I do.

But size is a real factor because we will travel with the dog. Airlines have restrictions.

The pound and rescue places have some real cute pups, but they are going to be mostly big dogs.

Even the ones that look like smaller breeds are unknowns as there is no info on parents.

I think it's great that people rescues animals from the pound, my cat was a rescue so I get it. But I also don't think anyone should try to tell anyone else what to do when it comes to getting an animal. Some people like to know the full history of an animal, or the true linage of it, have records of its past health etc etc. Again its great to rescue an animal, but lets not tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do guys. Even though I do understand you all mean well.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a mouthful...

Time for humor...

IMG-4883.png

IMG-4851.png

Meanwhile back to the forum which is already in progress...

I don't know. Just looked online and they're cute but going to be a high maintenance dog, especially if your backyard is more weeds than grass like ours. Prices from $1000-1800 for them? We have a daschund/yorkie mix (named Dorkie) and you have to keep his fur brushed all the time because it picks up every weed it can. 3-4 times a year to the groomer. Course part of the problem is he all curlie haired but with the short Daschund legs his belly drags in grass and weeds even though it's cut regular and he loves to roll around while playing with the Chihuahua. We paid a small price for the Dorkie but the Chihuahua was a rescue dog and is almost trouble free. Took a few weeks before reaching for him didn't make him cringe but he's fine now and both are great with kids.