Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

How's your property taxes?

Just got our yearly tax bill from Roger Mills County OK. Smaller 2 bedroom house totally renovated inside and out. 12' x 24' Outbuilding. 12' x 24' Carport. Lot and a half of property. Taxes for the year were still the same as last year. $82 for the year. Not a typo. $82 total. When I left my house in Mnpls suburbs my taxes were getting close to $1500 per year and in Ramsey county itself half again that much for less house and lot. Makes living on S.S. checks a lot easier with taxes like that and a paid for house.

Nick,

Wow, only $82

Higher taxes and we get winter. My boat has been put away for over a month. Some time I will tell you a sad story of my last fishing trip this year.

Tom

I relocated from MD to SC in 2015. I had 2/3 of an acre in MD and have the same here in SC. My property taxes were closing in on $6000 a year in MD, and now are less than $800 if I pay them on time. Other taxes & cost of living here is less too. There's very little traffic where I live, much different than where I used to live.

I live in a smaller house now too, but my kids are all grown and on their own, so didn't need a big house and the current residence is paid for, so no mortgage.

I simply couldn't afford to continue living in MD, and only wish I had made the move 20 years sooner!

$5800.00 for 2500 sf living area and 3/4 acre

$160.00 per year occupational tax (X2)

$10.00 per year head tax (X2)

1.5% personal wage tax

About $800.00 of the above total goes to my local and county taxes. The rest goes to my school district. I don't mind the bill as I live in one of the best school districts in the country and my kids were more then properly educated. When they went off to college they were actually impressed with the lack of education received by a majority of their classmates.

Central Florida ... double lot (2/3 acre), 1400 sq. ft. house with two car garage, no outbuildings, yet.

We just paid our taxes and it ran just shy of $950.00.

I'm glad we don't live where some of you do !!!

You guys are talking just property taxes with no school tax, right? There's no way you can have a police force, fire department, rescue squad, a highway department and a school district on $85.00 or $850.00 a year. It's simply not possible, is it?

My wife & I get an exemption on school tax, since we have no kids living at home. There's a High school, Middle school, Elementary school and a couple of private schools in town. The town, our postal zone, which is 10 miles from us, is the county seat, and has a Police force as does the county, a Sheriff's office with deputy's. There's a couple of court houses in town.

There's a fire house in town, with paid firemen and volunteers, and an auxiliary station just a couple miles from the house. They're going to build a bigger station soon near us, the lands been cleared, and a sign is up, but construction hasn't started.

The State of SC DOT handles all the road maintenance here.

We can pay a private trash service to pick up our trash, but don't have public service where we are. We have to gather it up & take it ourselves to a service center, where they handle garbage & recycle. There are 2 such centers within 5 miles, so really not too bad for cost, since it only costs a little of my time & gas. There's no extra fee's involved.

We have well water, and the closest fire hydrant is a half mile away. Last year, they built an additional water tower less than 5 miles from us on the main road and extended the water lines for fire hydrants, but not for drinking water as yet. We live near a 100000 acre lake, so water is not a problem and there's plenty of access.

We have a hospital, and a Motor Vehicle Dept office, plus the Emergency Services Office & yard is in town. There's at least one private ambulance company in town.

This is still a rather rural area, but IMO, we get everything we need for that $850 a year, and it will drop a little in a couple of years when I turn 65, or shouldn't go up.

You guys are talking just property taxes with no school tax, right? There's no way you can have a police force, fire department, rescue squad, a highway department and a school district on $85.00 or $850.00 a year. It's simply not possible, is it?

My $82.00 is total for everything. We have a good school from K-12, one Police Chief for town but we're the county seat so small jail and Sheriff and 3 Deputies work out of nice big building with city and country offices about 4 blocks from us. I'm a half block from fire hydrant and the town has a nationally recognized volunteer dep't. and my nephew is Fire Chief. Our town has less than 900 people, hospital with emergency room, clinic with MD and 2 NPs. We do pay a monthly charge averaging $65.00 for water, sewer and garbage, which is a dumpster in corner of lot for our own use. Traffic jam is when I have to wait for 3 cars to go by before I can pull out of PO. Our road are NOT well maintained but most of the reason for the lower costs here are because of the oil and gas taxes that go to both town, county and state.

We bought this house for retirement about 12 years for $12,000. It had an almost new roof and siding put on by bro-in-law and his crew of two kids who did most carpentry in town at time. After renting it for a couple of years wife moved here and lived with sister while she hired local help to completely gut house putting in new insulation, sheet rock, wood floor, kitchen, bath, plumbing and electrical and turned a basically drab 3 bedroom into a roomy and beautiful 2 bedroom. She put around $35K into the renovation but house in market today is worth about $65K or so. Like tidewaterfly everything is paid for and makes living on S.S. a fairly comfortable proposition.

We love living here, as it's very quiet, and most of our neighbors are older, so in the same age range as we are. The town has about 4000 residents so a bit bigger than yours. The town is located on I-95, so gets a good amount of travel traffic as folks go from the northern states to FL and back. There's a TA truck stop just off the exit, and if my memory is correct, about 42 restaurants in the town, most being fast food. I'm sure that helps the town greatly with tax revenue.

There is a piggy back sales tax in many parts of SC, cities, towns & counties, added on top the state sales tax of 6%. Still, it's cheaper than when we lived in MD as generally many products we buy are priced lower.

When we moved here I had intended to go ahead & file for SS, but have decided to wait until I'm 65. I work a part time job from Jan to July driving a tractor trailer for a company that puts on dance competitions. The earnings are substantial and would cause issues with SS income, so that's my primary reason for waiting. I expect that by the time I turn 65, I'll no longer want to drive, even though I love the job & the people I work for & with are wonderful!

My wife & I have joked that a traffic jam in town, is 3 cars. When we go to Charleston, which is about 70 miles from us, there's a back road that leads away from our area that we use, and it's rare that we pass more than 5 other vehicles on that road, even though it takes us into the next county before ending at the state highway.

Much of our family still lives in MD, including my mother, a brother and sister and two of my kids. Plus my wife one brother & sister. There's some things I miss about MD, but not a lot and certainly not enough to move back.

I miss the SM bass fishing I used to do there, none near us here, but plenty of fishing for LM bass. I would have to travel a few hours to get to SM or trout waters. The pros of moving here have greatly out weighed the con's! smile.png

North of $3500. We also have a hefty state income tax but no sales tax (so far).

Where I live the property tax is not determined by the sale price of the house. It's determined by the square feet of living space in the home. Outbuilding, garages, and unfinished basements do not count as living space. It could be a complete dump or totally remodeled and the tax is the same for a house built at the same time. So an older home is taxedat the tax rate at the time of construction. newer homes will have the highest tax rate simply because taxes rates always rise. They have been trying to reassess the taxes of all homes but that's a pretty sure fire way of losing reelection so it never gets past the talking phase.

I did a quick search of area taxes and found that OK charges a 4.5% sales tax and roger mills county charges a 6% local sales tax for a whopping 10.5% sales tax on pretty much everything including groceries and clothing, Something PA does not collect tax on.

OK Taxes are also rated 12th highest in the country largely because of state and local sales tax. You have to give our politicians credit for keeping "property taxes" low while still getting your money by calling the separation of you and your money something other then property taxes. Your property taxes are still way lower then mine though.

Similar here in Florida ... not the sale price, but the appraiser's price. Every year, the area gets an appraiser's estimate for each district. Our house is then taxed on the appraised average for property value.

Our only gripe is that some of our taxes are specifically for schools ... and we don't have/never had brats. We should be able to opt out of that tax.

When I was buying my house in MD, around 1980, they had a big argument in the state going about property tax rates. Back then they changed constantly depending on where you lived. The politicians finally got it set at one rate. The assessments unfortunately went up every year, based on what the counties determined was the assessed value of property & buildings.

It seems to be similar here in SC, but the values aren't set as high, and doesn't appear they make assessments or change the value every year.

There is a separate line item for school taxes, and when we moved here we filed some papers that we didn't have kids living with us who would be attending the public schools, allowing us to be exempt. IMO, that's fair, that those who use the schools, pay the tax.

Because of where the town here is located, we notice that gas prices are higher here, but generally a lot lower than they were in MD. MD dumped a bunch of taxes on the price of gas & diesel supposedly to maintain the roads. They were notorious for playing games with the funding in the state.

My brother in law lives in Sumter SC, and gas prices there are usually 10 to 20 cents less than they are in Manning where I live. As I said, Manning is right on I-95, and Sumter is about 40 miles away. I guess that's due to supply & demand, even though Sumter is a bigger town, Manning gets all that I-95 traffic.

Similar here in Florida ... not the sale price, but the appraiser's price. Every year, the area gets an appraiser's estimate for each district. Our house is then taxed on the appraised average for property value.

Our only gripe is that some of our taxes are specifically for schools ... and we don't have/never had brats. We should be able to opt out of that tax.

But your own education was paid for by others who may or may not have had children in school, right?