Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

3wt test drive

Having recently been given a 7'9" TFO Lefty Kreh finesse series 3 wt fly rod and an Allen Trout II reel, I decided to take it out on its maiden voyage today. Since the river is still very high like it has been all summer I went minutes down the road to a local WW creek (pronounced crick in my parts)

Overall its a nice rod and I'm glad I have it. It did reaffirm my belief that a 3 wt is a niche rod and I probably would not have bought one if I had to. I learned that 3 wt's are really sensitive to wind. Other then that it cast easy and it's not an overly fast rod which I like. I caught a few dozen sunnies and one SMB maybe 9" in length. It's definitely a fun rod for small fish and I will take it out again when I have a few hours to kill on pannies. It will be a perfect bait rod.

I've determined this was a great gift in that I would not have spent my money on one but it was a blast and I'm very appreciative of receiving it. I will put it to good use for sure.

My 10 foot Syndicate 3 weight rod is just about all I use here in the Smoky Mountains. Never had a problem with wind or distance with it.

Joe

The finesse series is a pretty moderate action. I actually built myself that same exact 7'9" 3wt TFO rod back about 3-4 yrs ago. I ended up selling it after one season. While I am not a guy that likes real fast tapers in my all around trout rods, that one there was just a bit too moderate for the rivers we have here that I like to fish. On a small 30' wide brush chocked stream though it would be ideal.

My 10 foot Syndicate 3 weight rod is just about all I use here in the Smoky Mountains. Never had a problem with wind or distance with it.Joe

I will admit I have to work out the leader formula but one time I was wearing my line like a hat during a gust between 8 and 10 MPH, I'm guessing.

The finesse series is a pretty moderate action. I actually built myself that same exact 7'9" 3wt TFO rod back about 3-4 yrs ago. I ended up selling it after one season. While I am not a guy that likes real fast tapers in my all around trout rods, that one there was just a bit too moderate for the rivers we have here that I like to fish. On a small 30' wide brush chocked stream though it would be ideal.

It was a 40' wide brush choked stream and it cast with ease to everywhere I wanted it.