Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

How to store big streamers

Storing my big streamers, up to eight inches long, and carrying them to the fishing grounds, had been a problem for me. Until I saw my wife with a plastic paper file that she keeps her store coupons in. I had her pick me up a few. Problem solved.

DSCF2755-L.jpg

That's not a bad idea. The only flies you can keep in there, though, are ones that are two dimensional with the hook.

That's not a bad idea. The only flies you can keep in there, though, are ones that are two dimensional with the hook.

Correct, perfect for streamers not so much for fluffy stuff.

Mark if you want an idea for making your own DIY boxes for the fluffy stuff, this is what I did for my streamers that are all too big and fluffy where I don't want them to get crushed/matted down.

I buy the kids school craft boxes from crafting type stores. The ones that kids & women use for storing craft and art tools etc etc. Then I glue down some dense foam into them to give the flies something to hook into. I go a bit further usually and cut slots and add homemade handles and such as well that way I can carry it with me in the boat or on the river. They hold up really well and hold a lot of the big bulky type streamers.

cAakh4.jpg
oSosn2.jpg

I use both types. At home, I store most of them in a large plastic box with ripple foam. When I'm fishing from a boat I'll take a box with. I brought a fancy version of the fly holder with the plastic inserts at my local fly shop with a gift certificate and I have similar coupon holder that I use when I only carry a few with me, mainly in fresh water. I store my bait fish patterns and my fluffy ones in them and once the fluffy ones hit the water they resume they're original shape.

Pardon the picture quality. I cut the dividers out of a tackle tray, glued in some thick craft foam and cut some slots to slide the hook into.

post-18580-0-32944100-1542341772_thumb.jpg

Pardon the picture quality. I cut the dividers out of a tackle tray, glued in some thick craft foam and cut some slots to slide the hook into.

attachicon.gif IMG_20181115_231301.jpg

I use both types. At home, I store most of them in a large plastic box with ripple foam. When I'm fishing from a boat I'll take a box with. I brought a fancy version of the fly holder with the plastic inserts at my local fly shop with a gift certificate and I have similar coupon holder that I use when I only carry a few with me, mainly in fresh water. I store my bait fish patterns and my fluffy ones in them and once the fluffy ones hit the water they resume they're original shape.

attachicon.gif IMG_20181115_231301.jpg

Yep, I have the same thing for my fluffy ones too. The flat ones are really nice because I can get a snotload of flies in a very small space. Fly boxes are like tackle boxes, shops, boats and garages, they're never big enough.

I just tie my streamers a little shorter and they fit a Perrine box. Very interesting ideas though. I'm not sure I could cast some of those golly whopper size lures.

I just tie my streamers a little shorter and they fit a Perrine box. Very interesting ideas though. I'm not sure I could cast some of those golly whopper size lures.

Dude I just use a regular old Plano box, holds the streamers fine for me, and allows for different compartments...

Boxes are fine. The folders allow me to carry lots more in a smaller space. I travel in bush planes a lot, both float planes and small wheeled aircraft, to get to where my floats start, that and with minimal room in rafts, it pays to not carry around a bunch of dead airspace. I can carry fifty or sixty, eight inch streamers, in very little space.

All the best, Mark

Mark, it's a great idea, I just don't own any flies that long, Probably put all my streamers in one section of that file. I can fit quite a few in an Altoids box. Where did you say she got those?