Fly Tying
j8000

2 questions for using 3 weight line

Good morning. I have two questions for those with experience using 3 weight lines. I have been getting into fishing smaller steams a lot more last season and would like to continue on with a 3 weight line for lighter presentation. The following questions will be under the circumstances of casting never more than 20 feet with either a dry fly or an unweight wet fly with leader between 6 1/2' to 9' long tapered to 4x or 5x.

#1 What is the largest fly that casts satisfactory at 20' in both standard dry and wet flies (weighted on perhaps a 2xheavy wire)? I like fishing these streams with flies from size 12 to 18.

#2 I'm seriously considering using a 2 weight rod with the line. What are your thoughts on this since the distance of casting is generally much shorter than 30'? my favorite set up for lakes and larger streams is using a 4.5 weight line on a 6 weight rod. I can really zing the line out there, so the opposite should be true for short casting using a lighter weight with the line.

I really like the way the 4.5 weight line hits the water and want to try the suggested set up for smaller streams. This would be a specific set up used only for short casting streams using cast such as the standard forward cast, occasional roll cast, flick casts (for sneaking up to the streams edge), and the bow cast. I don't use the roll cast very often in these places.

Thank you,

Jeff

You should be able to cast satisfactorily with any fly fitting the situation. I threw up to size beadhead buggers with no problem. I would also consider a Wullf 3wt. Longbelly Line. I had one on my 3 wt. and it really brought the rod to life. I roll cast well also since the continuous taper seems to pull the line behind it better.

Agree with vicrider. Should cover many flies with a bit of hauling and line manipulation. I use a braided leader with mine and it helps turnover.

I find on the river I fish that sometimes I want a longer up/down stream cast to cover a sudden rise from where I am instead of walking along the bank and making vibrations

I use a 3wt almost exclusively when fishing the Driftless Area in Wisconsin. If I'm not using a 3wt it's bamboo.

I said in another post that I really like the Orvis Clearwater line. In this case it would be a 3wt line.

I fish everything from size 14 to 20 dries. I will also fish size 10 to 20 nymphs, wets, and midges. With and without indicators. Weighted and unweighted but I never use a split shot.

I do have a 2wt but haven't used it since the brookies seem to have disappeared.

I also use the same rigs for bluegill.

rstraight, change of subject a little but damn...every time someone mentions the Driftless Area in WI I get pangs of remorse I can't get back there again. Maybe I will have a year or two left I can travel and that is one of the places I hold special in my memories. I actually didn't fish it as much as I'd liked to but living in the Chicago suburbs myself and friends often grabbed a weekend to drive up and enjoy the cow pasture fishing of many of the creeks. This was in the 60's and even then brookies were rare but carryover bows and some fantastic brown fishing was there for us, along with some hard fighting small mouth in some of the streams. Thanks for mentioning it and giving me those flashbacks.

Jeff I mostly fish 12's -20's on smaller free stone streams that are typically knee deep and have lots of over hanging trees. My main set up is a 7' 3" 3wt, WF line down to a 7'-9' leader with 18" of 6X tippet. My cast are usually no more that 20' because in the case of wet flies I fish without any type of indicator so I need to be able to see the leader. If I'm fishing drys I need to be able to see them in flowing water. I love fishing my short 3wt in tight quarters and I think once you give it a shot you will as well.

Thank you for the feedback. Since this is a specific set up, I'm fine with short casting only.

So, you think a 3wt rod with a 3 wt line will cast shorter casts better than a 2wt rod with a 3wt line?

Personally, I would rather cast a 3 weight line on a 2 weight rod for distances under 30'. Using a 9' leader, your cast would have less than 20' of line beyond the rod tip. To properly load the rod, you want 30' of line out. I have a 3 weight rod that I always use a WF 4 line on, and a 6 weight rod that I use a WF7 line on. Of course down her in FL, we don't do much fishing with 2 and 3 weight rods at all. But when I go trout fishing, I still prefer to overline the rods.

Vic,

When I find myself no longer being able to fish the Driftless it will be missed. It's like a second home to me.

Reading through this thread again I started thinking. If I feel I need to over line for short cast would I be better of with a softer rod?

I can't imagine using that light a line at that short of a distance, there'd only be like 40 grains of line in play. You guys are good.

Think about using a double taper line. They are excellent on softer, lighter weight rods for short casts.

If you are only needing that short cast then over lining the rod will definitely be best. Look at the furled tapered leaders too. I have found they reduce the amount of fly line needed to turn over the fly.

I would think you would want to go up a line wt or two for those short casts. I know I use a 4 wt line on my 7 ft 3 wt for small streams and I think it would go 4-1/2 if I didn't also need it for a few longer casts here and there. The 4 is a compromise between small and bigger pools. Depends on the taper. i'm using a Peach 444 wf line on that rod. It works alright, better than the SL 3 wt in close. Farther out the SL 3 wt line was great. But I'm not familiar with your blank, mine is a Cortland mid flex rod, moderate fast action.

Thank you all for your input. Now I have narrowed it down to either a 2wt rod with a 3wt line or a 3wt rod with a 4wt line. Although, I am leaning toward a 3wt rod and getting both 3wt line and 4wt line... hmmm. much to ponder.