Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk V

Midges

These are some midges I created while tying from a syllabus comments are more then welcome. Thanks

post-39045-0-76785600-1328022142_thumb.jpg

post-39045-0-67692000-1328022149_thumb.jpg

Getting closer, try to extend the abdomen back to at least the barb or to the start of the bend. The thorax could be a little shorter. I like to use the finest wire I can find.

I am beginning too, but here is what I have learned. I agree use finer wire for the rib. One other thing has helped with the overall look of midges is to use a flat thread. It lays nicer and makes for a smoother body. I personally like midges on a scud type hook. The slight curve just looks more natural to me. A bit more taper to the body may help. That is a tough one...some people tie almost an ice cream cone and others might only have a single wrap at the curve and three behind a bead or throax.

Two pieces of white ostich herl would make some nice gills comming out of the top of the head.The head to body ratio needs to be , more body and less head.