Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Saltwater Fly Swap

Close thread

Ok guys first a disclosure.

I am currently awaiting permission to launch my first swap but would like to get the process going, worst case senario they say no to me and I let you all know. I want them to see its organized and Ive got people participating.

now the swap, I would like to regularly host a saltwater sawp alternating with warm water since there are not many going at any given time, heres what im thinking

I would like to keep these moving so does 2 week tie time work for everyone? so once I say the swap is full 2 weeks from that date will be the mailing due date .

I personally dislike tying six of the same fly when there saltwater size so everyone can tie whatever they would like but lets keep it to a 6 fly minimum. you will not get your own fly back i promise

flies can be wrapped in something light but secure to save on postage no need to send a box where trying to keep this quick and smooth. please include a return envelope or money fo postage or paypal me i will handle repacking and envelopes for return trip.

please toe tag each fly as I will be mixing up the flies and sending an assotment im sure people would like to know who tied each fly.

I strongly suggest getting a tracking number as all of the packages I send out will have tracking info

once the swap is a go I will list my address and contact info

this is my first swap as a swap host so lets keep this one to 6 members including myself and lets have fun with this tie patterns that you think would work anywhere.

whos in? and I will let everyone know when we start as soon as I hear from steeldrifter. if for some reason I dont get permission I will cancel the swap before starting the 2 week tying time.

i thought you had to participate in 3 swaps before you could host a swap. there have been swapmeisters start a swap and nobody ever received the flies back. i guess thats why theres rules for evverybody

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15836

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15836

i also think your 2 week turn around is unrealistic. it seems hard to get a 4 week turn around on a lot of swaps

Flytire yes you are absolutly correct about the rules, and I was completely honest in that I am waiting for permission to officially start the swap as mentioned above. And I understand why the rules are there but to be frank I am a saltwater guy I dont tie #20 trout flies, so how long do you think before I am within those guidelines? As far as the timeframe being too short I feel that alot of swappers fail to complete the swap because timeframes are to far out and they forget or loose interest. Im not saying I want the flies in my hand in 2 weeks just get them in the mail, honestly who cant tie 6flies in one sitting? And I would be 100% comfortable sending steeldrifter $100 as collateral to pay the swappers if I flake! I just want to get something going for us salt and warm water guys. And im happy to step back if someone else wants to run this! Ask vicrider about my contribution to his christmas swap. I am here and if anyone wants to talk to me firsthand my phone number is 727-484-0378 thank you

Flytire! I am with you on this one! 3 swaps just like everyone else! And 2 weeks is, well a joke! Some people work 10, 12, 14hrs or more a day + life throws things at you! People could be late if given 2 months!

Well I guess you both win steeldrifter please close the thread these people have determined your opinion isn't worth waiting for, truth is I think is bull that a 2week deadline to tie 6 flies cant be met I joined the christmas swap on fri and had my flies and wallet that I handmade in the mail monday. But apparently because your not ok with it no one should be. Would either of you even participate in a saltwater swap or did you just come here to voice your opinion. Well I hope neither of you end up with my flies in the next trout swap. Did you ever think maybe people drop out or dont participate because 2mos is too long not to mention how many who wait until the last too weeks to tie anyway. I said I contacted the admin and was awaiting permission it should show I am honest and organized. I also have three business so to say that people dont have time is rediculous and if the deadline doesn't work you can always move along. Anyway even if I get permission no from an actually admin you guys have crapped all over my thread showning what great members you are so closr it thank you. And if you would like to do something productive try hosting a saltwater swap!!!!

weve had the discussion of why people drop out, why people procrastinate, length of swaps and a multitude of other things long before you joined the forum

nobody is trying to rain on your parade. rules are rules and they are for everybody to follow

other swappers have waited and participated in the minimum number swaps and then went on to host them. why do you feel youre any better and deserve preferential treatment?

it has to be a fair process for everybod

there are warm water swaps happening all of the time. join a couple and with your contribution to the christmas swap you will then be ok to host a swap

"truth is I think is bull that a 2 week deadline to tie 6 flies cant be met"

i agree with you 100%. but i have been in enough swaps that it aint gonna happen (not all the time)

Did you ever think maybe people drop out or dont participate because 2mos is too long not to mention how many who wait until the last too weeks to tie anyway

ive never seen swaps go with 2 month deadlines. 1 month is more like it. people drop out of swaps because of family commitments or emergencies, work commitments that just dont leave time for tying flies, moving out of the country for work, medical operations etc etc etc i dropped out due eye surgery. i also dropped out due to an overseas work requirement. fly swaps was the least of my worries. i have even given up my spot in a swap to help someone else.

these people have determined your opinion isn't worth waiting for

where did anybody say anything about that? only you did

did you just come here to voice your opinion

it is after all a discussion forum

DUDE! I fish for trout, seatrout, salmon, grayling, chub, whitefish, pike, pikeperch cos' thats what we have here! I live on the coast so i fish coastal seatrout in the SALT! I'm a lunatic for pike from my float tube! All my pike are caught in the SALT! Any salt swap i go in is probably gonna be a seatrout swap! Owning 3 business's is much differen't then working 16.5hrs 17.5hrs for 5days + saturday 8-10hrs hard fysical work for a Bossman that sits on his ass looking at facebook, twitter & instagram allday! Try 19days straight of hard pysical work 10-12hrs a day + help with everything else at home cos' this misses also works shifts! 3 shift work, then see if you want to sit down & ty a bloody fly? This forum also has members from the normal world too! Not everyone is a big jobby! Winter is coming so there should be more swaps! Why are you in such a rush? If they bend the rules for you, then other people want to talk about religion, all differen't ones, polatics and there will be advertising in every thread!

Zonkers, closers and crabs would have got your 3 right there.

Two week deadlines won't work out very well more often than not, which you would understand better if you have done a few.

I really don't get the impression your up to no good, but best to just do what's required first, or someone might be willing to host for you if your lucky, and friendly

Adam, chill out, DUDE! If you can't meet a two week deadline, don't join that particular swap!

I joined two swaps. Each time, I had my flies tied within a couple of days of joining ... then waited around for what seemed a LOOONG time for everyone else to finish theirs. Even on the swap that had a reason for going long (Swap miester was sick) there were people who hadn't finished and sent in there flies.

It was that long wait that made me decide swapping isn't for me. I will not join this swap, or any other, because of those two experiences.

They are right, though, Joseph, about being in 3 swaps before you host one. Not a bad rule, and one that should be kept.