Fly Tying
Adam Saarinen

Is it just me?

Is it just me? Or are prices from saltwater flyfishing holiday companies sounding to fare out there to be true? With out naming companies! 4650euros for 1week in Costa Rica for jungle Tarpon, price includes guide in boat! Place to sleep! Resturant close buy, get your own bloody food & flights not included! Or 1week in Cuba, 7nights, 6days guided fishing with boat 4400£ Food is what ever it is included with hotel! Get your own plane flights! I'm thinking these are mega lunatic prices & how in the hell is some normal dude gonna be able to tell the misses i'm going fishing for one week & we are having no holidays for the next 5-10 bloody years!

True Piker20! Unless your Rich or famous? Don't even look! I was a idiot to think flights were included for Costa Rica! Starting to even think i'm not sure if i want to win the Lotto? Might not last long!?!

The prices for exotic fishing trips have always been high; it's expensive to run a fishing destination or a guide/charter service, and your fees support everyone who's employed there. For most of us, a fishing safari involves spending half our assets (or more) to go anywhere we read about in the angling magazines. Saving up and taking the trip of a lifetime is one thing, but regularly fishing Costa Rica for tarpon or catching the salmon runs in Iceland on a yearly basis has always been for the wealthy, and I doubt that's gonna change. Even going offshore here in Virginia is too rich for my blood. An eight-hour day costs about a grand; you can split it up among several anglers, but who wants to fish in rotation on a crowded boat?

Adam, the first place I am booking, next time I can make it happen is Florida, USA with Capt. Bob LeMay.

This is a totally serious comment. Unlike quite a few of my others...... :)

Adam

What exactly do you want? It will take some research. The guys that take you on the cheap don't advertise and the equipment is not the best. For instance in San Jose del Cabo you can get a guy in a panga to take you out for 75 bucks. You can catch roosterfish, dolphin and have a legitimate shot at a marlin.

What I generally do is go somewhere the family wants to go and then sneak off fishing a day or two and pay a guide. I get in good quality fishing and the family is happy to boot.

I've done this in Jackson Hole, Cancun, Cabo, Bahamas, tybee, all over Fla and Sc.

I even talked a buddy into fishing the Zambezi while in Zimbabwe hunting buffalo. It wasn't expensive.

Cabo by far is my favorite. We stay at an all inclusive and I sneak away. The missus will have a blast. Not to brag but the last time I was there I won a beer chugging contest.

Anyway, figure out a way to talk the better half along and keep her entertained is my advice. Happy wife, Happy life!

Every once in a while, I think, "Hmmm ... I wonder what it would be like to fish (state your exotic location here)?"

Then I go fishing locally, and catch fish, and have a great time.

THEN I think, "I sure am glad I don't waste money going to places like (state your exotic location here) to catch fish."

Every once in a while, I think, "Hmmm ... I wonder what it would be like to fish (state your exotic location here)?"

Then I go fishing locally, and catch fish, and have a great time.

THEN I think, "I sure am glad I don't waste money going to places like (state your exotic location here) to catch fish."

Mike, I am totally in agreement with your main theme here, that is why I chose to live in Wyoming. But I think you will relate to the idea that cold weather gets really old, wife and kids and grandkids need a change of scenery, and none travel for a living, so traveling would be a nice little vacation.

Can we camp in your yard on the way to Miami? Probably next February at the soonest....... We are rednecks and will make our own Moonshine, if you have running water, or not, we are flexible. Will send picture of the two-story privy, glad to share build plans for that.

Take your time in getting back to us on this.....

IMG_2061.JPG

#3generations.of.banjo.players.headed.your.way

A colleague made me think the other day. 4 of them went to Iceland after salmon and it was expensive. He said he wouldn't be able to do similar thing again for at least five years. They caught over 60 fish between them over the week.

I'm not sure I would want to catch that many fish in a strange way. Pay all that money to go to somewhere exotic and then just pull fish put all day like pond fishing? Just me?

I'm not against travelling ... I mean, Wife and I have visited all 50 States.

But travelling just to catch fish? I am an avid angler ... seeking opportunities to wet a line everywhere I go ... but I just can't see spending huge amounts of money JUST to go fishing. I can do that right there at home.

I truly do understand heading South in the Winter, FRn. I MOVED there, so I could get out of the cold. But when I have Wife with me, I can do without fishing. Spend time with family ... fish if the opportunity presents.

I guess I am one of the more fortunate guys in fishing. We have fantastic species here in Ontario that we don't have to venture out of province. My trips include Thunder Bay for Northern Pike, Lake Nipigon for Brook Trout and Lake Trout, Lake St. Clair for Musky, Lake Ontario tributaries for Rainbow Trout, Coho and Chinook Salmon. Bay of Quinte for Walleye and any Kawartha lake for Large or Small mouth bass.

I am new to fly fishing for them but old hat on conventional gear.

Here are a few pics of my "trophies"...

th_Ron54.jpg

th_45.jpg

th_20160101_111054.jpg

th_Nipigon2010156.jpg

I guess I am one of the more fortunate guys in fishing. We have fantastic species here in Ontario that we don't have to venture out of province. My trips include Thunder Bay for Northern Pike, Lake Nipigon for Brook Trout and Lake Trout, Lake St. Clair for Musky, Lake Ontario tributaries for Rainbow Trout, Coho and Chinook Salmon. Bay of Quinte for Walleye and any Kawartha lake for Large or Small mouth bass.

I am new to fly fishing for them but old hat on conventional gear.

Here are a few pics of my "trophies"...

th_Ron54.jpg

th_45.jpg

th_20160101_111054.jpg

th_Nipigon2010156.jpg

Can we camp out at your house in August 2018? We will leave the outhouse at Mike's, bring only a Moonshine Walleye recipe, and the big fly gear. #will.travel.and.give.up.BanjoMusic.to.catch.that.one.in.the.top.picture!!!