Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmywk

Old fly tying cards

Hello sorry to ask a dumb question but I found some old fly tying picture cards from the 50s or earlier, while going thru my Dads things after he passed.

I was told to check to see if they were worth anything by a friend that makes bamboo fly rods.

I think they might be from the old Herters company.

There are 13 color cards with from 5 to 12 flies on each. Including Streamers, Wet, Dry & Bucktails. Also 4 materials cards with an accompanying index card. I also have various other tying things that were with this. I don't know much about these so I could use some guidance here.

I hate for them to be wasted when they might be worth something to someone, since they are so old.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks if anyone can help.

jimmyk

I E-mailed ... and this was the reply:

Yes Sir.

I'm just looking to see if this is of any value. I fished with my Dad growing up but don't know anything about this kind of stuff. I am 60 years old and disable now, not able do much anymore.

Like I said if this is of value , I don't want to let it waste. It has already been sitting for 50-70 years. If it is worth anything I will post it locally here in WNC where I have been selling some of the new tackle for the last year.

I had found an Orvis BattenKill rod & Reel that was brand new. It had never even been put together. It was dated early 70's and had been put away for all these years. There was a Hedden with it that had been given to me as a kid that had the tips broken on it too. I advertised it locally and a guy that builds rods came and looked at it. He bought it to repair and told me to check about these cards. That they might be worth something because he had never seen any like them. I gave him several boxes of the hand tied flies with the rod to use for himself and sold the Orvis to another guy. He had heard of one of my Dads fishing buddies, a family friend that had been a guide here, looking for some specific flies.

I'm not trying to sell anything on your forum. I just thought you might have someone who would know something about this stuff.

If this causes trouble on your site just kick it out.

Thank you.

Jimmyk

Jimmy,

If you could provide some pictures ... that would help the aficionados on this site give you advice.

Don't think I've ever seen what you're talking about, but I bet somebody collects them. Pictures would sure help.

i have copies of old chevrolet advertising cards but no history

maybe some senior tyers remember them?

1 example

ZpCPFas.jpg

Never saw those ads, but I remember the '64 Fleetside, Dad got in '65 and I got it in '68, and every time you loaded it heavy the scissor frame would push the bed sideways so that from the rear it looked like a wreck. It was red when new and like all Chevys of the time turned orange with age.