Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

shakespeare 1094 fly reel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

My buddy has a shakespeare 1094 fly reel, but dont know the weight. He is wanting to get new line for it. Does anyone know what weight these reels are?

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

The weight rating for reels is mostly related to how much line they'll hold.  You buy line weight based on the rod you're putting the reel on ... not on the reel itself.

That 1049 reel, as far as I can tell, will hold everything up to 6 weight.  The lighter the weight line, the more backing you'll need to bring the fly line out near the edge.  Having the line near the edge will give you the "fastest" line retrieve possible on a 1:1 fly reel.  It's also going to give you extra line if a fish runs too far.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Thank you I’ll tell him