Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Line Noise

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

Wait a minute.  It just occurred to me, that you're catching fish with a camera on the line.  I would be more concerned about the camera scaring fish off more than I'd be concerned about vibrations through the line doing that! biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#32 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

He can't cast fly line with a camera on the line so I think he put the camera on the line after he hooks the fish. 

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#33 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

He can't cast fly line with a camera on the line

Mark Knapp can do anything, have you seen his knives?

"I am not against golf, since I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout."
- Paul O'Neil

#34 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

Mike, I'm not worried about catching fish at all. Like I said, where I live we fish for stupid fish. The discussion isn't about catching fish where I live. The Op's original question was about whether or not fly line noise will spook fish in a high pressure fishery (which I don't have). Then the discussion turned to whether or not the line noise is actually transmitted into the water.

My contention is, yes the sound of the line sliding through my fingers is transmitted into the water. I know that because the camera picks it up. I suspect the fish pick it up too, because they must be more sensitive than my camera. I suspect that a line noise may spook some fish in a sensitive fishery. There must be some reason why very big trout get very big. Some kind of line noise may be one of the things (along with a whole host of other things) that tips them off.

Silver, when I deep sea fly fish, I normally hook a fish, then slide the camera down the line to the fish (there's plenty of time for that when the fish is over 100 feet away). In the video we're talking about the line is casted with the camera fastened into the line two feet above the fly. It's not a fly-fishing cast by any means it's more of a flop. I do that above the hole and float down into it.

#35 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

D, you are far too kind. There are plenty of things I can't do very well at all, just ask my wife. She'll tell you, in fact, how much time do you have?biggrin.pnglaugh.pngtongue.png