Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Now it's like Christmas around here

It's like Christmas around here, today my copy of "The Feather Thief" finally came in. Plus that, I got my new vise, my new dubbing spinners. I got a Guinea fowl skin.

To top it all off, I went to an estate sale and got a complete fly tying room. There's so much stuff, I'm going to be sorting for quite some time. Just the stack of fly tying books was 3 1/2 feet tall. I didn't know the old fella but he must have been an interesting guy. He had some classic salmon fly stuff and lots of shadow boxed sets of flies. There was one box of hackle capes, buck tail, schlappen, Chickabou, calf tails and hair patches full to the top of a 2 X 2 X 2 foot box, all in original packaging. It seems as if he had owned a fly shop 'cause there was lots of stuff for display. Also, drawers and drawers and drawers of hook, tools and 3 vises.

I paid the family what they were asking but, they were so nice, and the widow is strapped for cash till the affairs are cleared. There's so much more than I thought there was so I'm going to give them some more money.

Mark that's awesome and good for you! Would you mind posting a few pics of the estate sale display stuff? I'm a complete sucker for classic and historical fly fishing/tying stuff.

I have the largest flea market in the country half a hour drive from my home. I try to stay away because the grocery money might somehow turn into an antique fly reel (which according to my wife are apparently inedible). The last time I went I grabbed a old 3wt no name bamboo rod from the 60's for $20. It's in decent condition and I am currently restoring it. I restored a 1945 5wt South Bend bamboo rod last summer and after replacing everything except the bamboo blank I was into the rod for $140 (not edible either).

One of my local fly shops used to have a 5' tall apothecary cabinet filled with estate materials for sale. I got a lot of common use feathers, hackles and furs for a buck or two per pack. They looked to be from the 80's and most were unopened. I'm still tying from them today. Unfortunately the shop has since stopped selling estate materials.

Christmas goodies that just arrived...

Thompson Model A w/ Pedestal & vintage Thompson bobbin holder

Hareline Dubbin pheasant skin

Alan :P

post-63593-0-03574300-1547150470_thumb.jpgpost-63593-0-00321700-1547150510_thumb.jpg

Christmas goodies that just arrived...

Thompson Model A w/ Pedestal & vintage Thompson bobbin holder

Hareline Dubbin pheasant skin

Alan :P

attachicon.gif IMG_20190110_130100.jpgattachicon.gif IMG_20190110_130136.jpg

That vise and bobbin are sweet! Do you intend to tie with them or are they for display?

Oh yeah! The Model A will be my primary vise. It came with a set of Midge jaws & the original box. I bought the Pedestal for it, and also have the C clamp.

The bobbin holder is in awesome shape, and I'm definitely using it, too! It also came with the original box.

Alan :D

Dfoster, there isn't any antique stuff at all, mostly framed flies and flies on pedestals, as well as several hundred ( maybe thousands of) flies for sale in labeled partitioned boxed like you see at fly shops. These all appear to be hand tied, (by him?) The most exciting thing is the box of capes.

Dfoster, there isn't any antique stuff at all, mostly framed flies and flies on pedestals, as well as several hundred ( maybe thousands of) flies for sale in labeled partitioned boxed like you see at fly shops. These all appear to be hand tied, (by him?) The most exciting thing is the box of capes. My bad. I assumed the deceast was old

Oh well- Still it sounds like a nice score for you and I'm sure his widow appreciates his stuff finding its way to a fellow enthusiast. Those boxes probably represent a lot of years of collecting.

Df, I'm pretty sure he must have tied them all.

Something else that's pretty interesting, I was at an auction several years ago and I was bidding on fly rods and fly tying stuff. There was also a box classic salmon fly materials and some books. I was able to get most of the fly tying stuff without too much trouble but when it came to the classic stuff he was going to get it. Every time the bid was back to him, his hand shot up with such determination that I knew he was going to get it no matter what. I saw no point in running him way up so I quit bidding. I don't remember the man himself but I do remember the materials and the books. I'm pretty sure I have them now. It's funny how things go around.