Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Bobbin Smoothie

If you use the "wishbone" style bobbins, and find the tension a bit too much, listen up.

On both ends of the thread spool where the bobbin thingy (I'm sure there is a technical name for that) fits into the hole of the spool, put a small patch of white teflon thread tape (plumbers use it to seal pipe threads) between the bobbin thingy and the spool. This stuff comes in small rolls at your local hardware emporium.

Thats a good idea. I try to gently spread the arms with my fingers and hopefully dont bend it out of shape. I like your idea better.

Also, if your bobbins are a little squeaky, jumpy, or too tight, ass a little beeswax to the area where the spool comes into contact with the metal or plastic "hub"

Hi guys,

I remove the spool for a moment (leaving the thread thru the barrel), stroke the yolk/thingies along both sides of my nose, slip the spool back on the yolk, and go back to tying. The natural oil located along most peoples nose will lubricate the bobbin/spool quite nice. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Great idea AL.

This is off the subject a little but You can also use that oil on your fingers when playing guitar or bass. And on your lips to prevent chapping.

Sign in to follow this