Fly Tying
Saltybum

Broken tip repair

I recently broke the tip on my 8wt about two inches down and decided to get new section made figuring the presentation and accuracy would be affected some but still wanted to keep the old section as a spare in just in case.

I called the rod maker and stated my desire to keep the old section. Since it was NON warranty repair, no problem just state it on the repair request form.

Got the rod back but not the old tip. They admitted their mistake then started giving me a bunch of excuses for trashing it,

like this " using a shorter tip section dramatically increases the stress on the next section leading to further breakage".

I explained that would be my problem and they still had no right to trash my property and felt they should replace the tip.

Next reply was from the sales manager " loose shards of graphite are quite dangerous and we destroy them after measuring the fitting". Quite dangerous? A clean break two inches down, loose shards, dangerous??? A blatant insult of my intelligence I think. Not what I would expect from one of the top rod makers in the country.

I replied I spent four years in the Army in combat arms and consider a piece of broken rod to be on the bottom of my list of things I consider dangerous. No reply back from him.

They gave me a cap and t-shirt basically like giving a kid a candy bar and saying go away now.

I think they owe me another tip.

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks

I had two tips replaced by different mfr's and both times they returned my tip as per my instructions. They never said anything about using the broken tip being a problem, safety or otherwise.

For the price of a new tip they should have just sent you one.

Two things come to mind.

1. It was a NON warranty repair which means he paid something for the new tip.

2. The only reason for sending back the tip is so that they can size the section more accurately. I know of no rod company that requires the tip be sent back for any other reason than that.

Two phone calls to two different employees confirming that MY tip would be returned upon written request, which I did. Them some lame excuses as to why it wasn't and insulting my intelligence as well. They admitted they were wrong but I'm still the one who has to pay. What happened to the customer is king?

The company is Thomas & Thomas and tell me they would lose a lot by simply making another tip and keeping a customer happy and wanting to do business with them vs too bad go somewhere else. They charge $150 for a non warranty tip that probably cost them next to nothing to make and could easily made another but have now lost my business for good.

Perhaps others reading this will now also not buy T&T and continue to cost them way more down the line.

I've been a business owner for 28 years and bit the bullet more than once to do what it took to keep my customers happy. The bulk of my business is word of mouth, referrals and return customers. The few dollars I lost has been more than made up for because I consider customer service paramount to being in business. Apparently T &T doesn't agree.

I also called Scott and they said my tip would be returned. And they charge a lot less for non warranty work. Couldn't get through to Sage.

I'll be selling my T & T and looking for a Scott soon.

I have broken 3 rods, Reddington, G Loomis, and a Sage - the last 2 being stepped on. I'm a clutz sometime. All 3 were totally replaced - I just paid shipping. And I thought T&T had an unconditional lifetime warranty. Its not a cheap rod.

If it were my company and reputation I would have apologized for the mix up and would have sent a hat AND returned the money you paid for the new tip. Most good rod manufacturers have unconditional warranties anyway so a free tip is not above and beyond reason. After reading your post I know I would not buy a rod from them now, when there are other options available that have long standing reputations for excellent customer service, So clearly their decision to not make things right for a customer, will cost them more than just that one customers business.

Thank You Trampus. Seems you understand the true value of customer service.

Tossing my tip section in the trash was just one issue. The others were flat out insults of my intelligence, talking to me like a was just a little kid that didn't have a clue, "loose shards of graphite are quite dangerous" etc. Cold on the other hand apparently missed that part of the customer service's comments to me.

Cold also doesn't seem to see that losing customers and prospective future customers as anything of value or importance either. In strict business terms lost customers means money lost, money lost means that business is failing.

You were going to put a new guide on the end?

Trying to figure out why you want the old tip section...

I've busted two Okuma's and they made me break the butt end and send in the whole rod for replacement. They replaced the rod and also threw in an extra rod tip. I guess they knew what was coming next. :lol:

"They agreed to do this, but ended up forgetting or deciding not to for some reason. They've still fulfilled their end of the deal, and don't owe you anything, and any extra compensation is simply good customer service."

They failed to fullfill their verbal agreement. They owe him something that is impossible at this time to repay exactly as agreed. The next best thing would be to supply a new rod section. Obviously this is a business decision as to risk loosing a customer and everyone he tells or loosing the cost of a new rod section. In this case I believe they lost far more than the cost of a new rod section.

FWIW, if the broken section is deflected to the same distance as a full length section, then the lower parts of the broken rod would see more stress, just as they stated. However, if the broken tip section is exposed to the same load as a full length section, the stress seen by the lower parts will be virtually identical in both rods.