Fly Tying
jjs89yj

Fishing around Tampa Bay

I'll be taking a work trip to Tampa next week and scheduled my arrival flight to allow for some fishing--- err I mean meeting prep. I know there are a number of folks on here from that general area. Any tips for fly fishing? It'll be in the evenings (and nights, potentially) and I won't have a boat. Areas, patterns, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not much help here,but I do know there is good beach access from st. Pete up to clearwater beach. Tampa bay is a pretty large area and it kind of depends on where you are going to be. There are several places to pull off the road and maybe wade the flats in Tampa bay and ocean side. I've never fly fished the salt, but in college I used to drive over and fish from the sunshine skyway fishing pier quite often. There is no way really to throw a fly off the pier though. There is a small fee to fish the pier and they rent rods and tackle at the bait shop on the pier for pretty cheap. My only suggestion would be to play around on google maps and look for shore access using street view along with satellite images.

Beach next to City Pier in Anna Maria Island has spanish macks, drum, and a lot more. But really any areas that look fishy to you will have fish, my general rule of thumb is to get away from the crowds...

Look on google earth and you will find something