Fly Tying
Paulmaude

New to fly fishing

Hello everyone I'm new to fly fishing and very soon will be getting my first rod.

Due to the immense wealth of info I'm stuck so so so stuck as what size to get???!!???

I have been recommended a 9'6 7w help!!

Welcome to the site, Paul.

As Powershooter states, we have to know what you're chasing.

I'm fresh water only, and sunfish and bass only.

I own two 8 weight rods, for tossing big stuff around heavy cover for large mouth bass.

I own one 3 weight rod, my favorite rod, since sunfish are my target species.

BUT ... I own several 5 weight rods. These will throw moderate sized top water poppers. They have enough strength to bring in a big bass, but are sensitive enough to have fun with sunfish.

I would recommend a 5 weight rod as a first. It's light enough for learning ... won't wear out your arm while you're training your muscles to react properly. It's heavy enough for most fishing you'll do as you're learning how to fish.

You WILL buy more rods ... so get a general rod first, go for specialized rods later.

Welcome, Paul. Concur with the others, we need to know what you're planning to fish for. I fish both fresh and salt water. I have a limited arsenal of fly rods compared to many other members on the board.

I have two 5 wgts a 8 1/2' and a 7'. The 8 1/2' is my go to trout rod. I use it about 50% of the time for my pan fish rod. The 7' is my bush rod. I do get to streams that heavy cover and it's easier to maneuver and cast in those conditions. I also use it as a pan fish rod.

I have two 6 wgts a 8 1/2' and a 9'. I do use them for trout at times. Mainly used in fresh water for pan fish, bass, chain pickerel and pike. The 9' is also my light salt water rod and the one I use for most of my fishing.

I have three 8 wgts. I did a lot more salt water fishing when I was younger and one is a 4 piece rod I brought when I was traveling to Guam. I don't use them that much anymore. My casting shoulder is slightly arthritic and casting them does cut down on my fishing time.

I will disagree with Mike on the best all around rod. For the fishing possibilities I have a 6 wgt, 8 1/2 or 9' is the best all around rod. It's light enough to have fun when you use it for trout or pan fish and enough back bone to handle larger fish, 5 to 7 lbs. I haven't caught anything larger than that on my 6 wgts. It can also handle larger flies than a 5 wgt. When you hit the next slippery slope, tying your own flies, you'll find that you can tailor your flies to the rod.

When you ask for opinions on a forum as large as this, you will get several differing arguments. I agree with Mike completely if you are a fresh water fisherman. 5wt is a good starter because it's versatile. I started with an 8wt and a 6wt. I preferred the 6 until I built a 4wt. I loved that rod so much I wrote a song about it. I used it exclusively for several years. But heavier streamers did not cast well and wind was often a problem. I now have settled on a 5wt and it casts streamers and tiny midges like a dream, handles bass, pike, panfish, and of course trout very well and is really a perfect compromise.

My personal preference for one rod to go anywhere and fish for many species is 8'- 8.5' , 6-8wt.

Lighter than 5wt is too hard to cast for me and longer than 8'6" gets awkward for me. An 8 1/2 foot 6 weight is comfortable for beginners I've taught. And such a rod could fish a 5wt or 7wt line if conditions dictated.

Are you looking for bamboo, fiberglass or graphite rod recommendations?

I would second tjm's recommendation of an 8'6" 6 wt. -- IF you're fishing primarily freshwater. If you're going after saltwater species, I'd recommend a 9' 8 wt.

You mentioned, though, that someone had recommended that you get a 9'6" 7 wt. That makes me wonder if maybe you might be going after steelhead--around here (Great Lakes), 9'6" or 10'0" 7 wt. is the go-to steelhead rod.

So, as others have said, if you give us some more info on what you intend to do with this rod -- species you will pursue, and the types of flies you'll be casting--we can be much more specific.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello everyone I'm new to fly fishing and very soon will be getting my first rod.

Due to the immense wealth of info I'm stuck so so so stuck as what size to get???!!???

I have been recommended a 9'6 7w help!!

A fly rod has two functions. The first is to cast the fly. So the size of the fly determines the line weight since the you will need a certain size of fly line to cast a certain size of fly.

The second function of a fly rod is to fight the fish. From these two functions we determine what line weight and therefore what line weight rod you need. That is the primary reason for asking what species and what type of water you will be fishing.

Then there is the length of the rod that will be best for the situation. The rod best rod length will be determined by what type of water you will be fishing from small streams with overhead cover (shorter rods) to lakes and wide open larger rivers (longer rods) and whether primarily nymphing (longer rods) or dry fly fishing (average length rods)

Finally and this is critical and no one has mentions it is the rod action. Rod action will determine "how" the rod casts. Some may push you toward the faster fly rods because they will say that they are powerful and can cast tight loops and can cast farther. Ignore them. That may be true but not for a beginner.

What is most important for a beginner is what rod action is one that is the easiest for a beginner to learn to cast. That would be a medium (moderate) action to a medium (moderate) fast action fly rod. A beginner needs a rod that will bend and load more easily than a fast action rod. So the rod action that you choose is just as important as the line sizing.

http://www.redington.com/rod-actions

What is also important is how you learn to cast and that is where lessons come in.

http://midcurrent.com/experts/picking-your-first-fly-rod/

Playing a round of golf with one club can be done but not well. I recommend starting out with all the even weight rods 4 and above. Then start filling in the odd weights. Then you will be set. If that's not feasible you will have to provide a tad more info on your intentions.

Playing a round of golf with one club can be done

Hey!!!

I can get in 72 holes worth of swings in one round of golf. And I'm using all the clubs I have. I could probably do as well with only one club !!!

Playing a round of golf with one club can be done

Hey!!!

I can get in 72 holes worth of swings in one round of golf. And I'm using all the clubs I have. I could probably do as well with only one club !!!

Off the original topic but when I lived in Wichita I played a round of golf with a guy that carried only 1 club. It had an adjustable loft so he could dial it from a driver to a putter. At the time I carried a decent handicap and this guy beat me by several strokes. He wouldn't tell where he got, said he used it on his business travels instead of lugging golf bags through airports. Haven't seen any like it since, had forgotten about until the above posts. Too bad internet didn't exist then, could have researched it. May still try just for the heck of it.

Actually found a website of Divnick Golf that sells a club like I remember, only $249wink.png plus shipping. Buy during Feb and you get a $70 discount.