Fly Tying

Fly fishing on the San Juan River can be really good, and it can be really bad. Luckily the day that I had guests with me from FreshSaltFishing it was a good day fishing. We caught 7 browns that day, and most were really good sized.

http://youtu.be/nyT4Y9fyBC

I am always asked what flies I used to catch fish, so here are the lists of the flies I used, and also links to videos on how to tie them.

Judging from the numbers your group caught, and the numbers of boats in the area ... it appears to be one of those "fish in a barrel" days. Fun, when that happens!

Yeah! Usually its like that on the Juan though. Lots of boats, lots of fisherman, lots of fish. HAHA Thanks Mike! Yeah its always good when its good... Rarely do I have a bad day on the Juan, Unless I'm being an idiot loosing them. But I always hook lots.

The fish would get me all pumped up for a trip like that but the crowd on the river I find rather distasteful. Too many years of fishing in the past with limited crowding to drive somewhere to run into that, though you guys showed the fish are there.

The fish would get me all pumped up for a trip like that but the crowd on the river I find rather distasteful. Too many years of fishing in the past with limited crowding to drive somewhere to run into that, though you guys showed the fish are there.

Yes, it is busy, and that's why I go to other places that are less busy as well. I still hit the Juan though when I want a guarenty of fish. Like some of the other places around here that don't have fish aren't as good of fishing holes. They don't land as many. Some days none. But the Juan is a place I can almost guarenty a hook up or two, sometimes 20+. So while I'm with you, I'd rather have less people, the crowd doesn't bother me as much when I know I can hook fish, and when I want to get away from people I go to other rivers.

Myself, my son, my buddy and his son hit the Juan at least twice every year. March/April before the Dam turns over and then usually late summer early fall. What a fantastic fishery. Tiny flies, BIG fish, HUGE fun.

[edit] There are places on the river that don't see as much "combat" fishing as others.[/edit]

Myself, my son, my buddy and his son hit the Juan at least twice every year. March/April before the Dam turns over and then usually late summer early fall. What a fantastic fishery. Tiny flies, BIG fish, HUGE fun.

[edit] There are places on the river that don't see as much "combat" fishing as others.[/edit]

Yes, it's a great fishery for sure. And yes, many places that don't see the crowds as much.

I'll be spending this winter in Arizona (unfortunately) and thought I'd probably make it to NM fish the SJ at some point while I'm there. I always thought it was a rainbow fishery and was surprised to see so many browns in that video. I was hoping at least I'd be able to cast dries at some picky trout, is that an option?

Yes, it's a great fishery for sure. And yes, many places that don't see the crowds as much.

Great, amazing fishery. Like most any other water if you know where to go you can get away from the crowds. We've had amazing days there. Now I'm itching to go. Just got back from a week on the White River near Meeker. So the Juan is going to have to wait. So will the monster burritos at El Pescador ;)

I'll be spending this winter in Arizona (unfortunately) and thought I'd probably make it to NM fish the SJ at some point while I'm there. I always thought it was a rainbow fishery and was surprised to see so many browns in that video. I was hoping at least I'd be able to cast dries at some picky trout, is that an option?

You can cast dries to your hearts content. Give Baetis Bend a try

Well that's good to know, I'll have to try and find Baetis Bend when I'm there. We have a couple similar tailwaters here in Oregon, and although most people use nymphs I've found the dry fly fishing to be awesome if you know when to be on the water and you fish in the right locations.

Dries aren't too common there, but the last few weeks they have been hitting them. Usually terrestrial type flies. Sometimes dropper to a small midge dry will work also.

Yes it's usually a bow fishery... honestly I've only caught a few browns on that river prior to this. But this day was crazy! All browns, no bows... so weird! Lol

Well even if using dries isn't all that common there I'll have a box with midges and baetis dries just in case and I'll keep my eyes open for risers.

Well even if using dries isn't all that common there I'll have a box with midges and baetis dries just in case and I'll keep my eyes open for risers.

Yes absolutely! Usually around mid day I will start to see a few rise. Especially late afternoon... Always have some with you just in case.