Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Christened the UL rod Steve built.

First fish is a very small Pollock. First of the year. Second is a Coalie. Same family as pollock and very common up here. This was around 1lb and rod coped well. I will keep trying to hook a 4lb Pollock with it to really test it.

Lovely action on the rod and superb with small metal lures.

A seal culled the action as the tide flooded but a good couple of hours with approx 30fish total.

post-42518-0-33529300-1507992033_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-86672200-1507992052_thumb.jpg

Do you eat those Piker?

not this size haha. The Pollock is a good eating fish in sizes over a couple of pounds. Coalies tend not to be kept unless for pot baits (crab and lobster creels) but the UK record is up around 35lb+ from boats so they tend to go into fish cakes and anything labelled white fish.

I haven't caught a pollock since I was a kid back around 1965, my mother made fish stew out of it. I'd guess it was maybe 2-1/2 - 3#. Nice meat as I recall, I was 15 so the taste buds haven't held the flavor in memory so well.

Glad you like the rod !!

I think cod is the preferred fish and chips fish but Pollack is used pretty often. I got tilapia one time such disappointment it wasn't at a cheap place either.

I got tilapia one time such disappointment ...

That's the way I remember Rainbow and Brown Trout. A huge disappointment the one time I tried it.

Tilapia, on the other hand, was almost as good as the rest of the fish-fry batch, which was a mixture of sunfish. Sunfish being, in my opinion, the best fish for fried fish flavor.

I thought pollock was the fish in Fish and Chips. Is that correct?

Cod and Haddock but Pollock would normally be 'white fish' in superstore breaded fish, fish fingers, fish cake etc.

Piker, Coalie is that the same as Pollock?

Nope. Same family, along with whiting, cod and haddock but a different fish. In actual fishing terms they often occupy distinct water columns and having a bait 4inches higher or lower can target specific fish.