Fly Tying
petegray

Morehead City / Beaufort / Atlantic Beach NC

anyone here frequent these areas...?

re: surf fly fishing the beaches

I'm still dealing with the Bear's Den in Taunton MA...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but...

Any noteworthy NC saltwater fly shops...?

I used to ... about 30 years ago, when I was in the military. But I never fly fished there. Almost always too many people around for back casting. And, unlike most reports I've seen on this site, I never caught a fish within 20 yards of shoreline. You had to have a surf fishing rod that could wing a wad of bait or a lure 100 yards out.

Good luck !!!

If you don't mind bait fishing ... go to the inlets and small tidal flow bridges. Plenty of Cobia, Sheepshead and Flounder up in those places. I never thought of fly fishing those places, due to the proximity of overhead wires and other backcast preventing structures.

I've been there a couple times with to see family. I would recommend for the surf throwing a closer, letting it sink, and stripping it back. You'll likely pick off whiting,pompano, maybe redfish, stuff like that. If you wanted to book a guide, fishing those grassy areas off the ICW looks promising...

anyone here frequent these areas...?

re: surf fly fishing the beaches

I'm still dealing with the Bear's Den in Taunton MA...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but...

Any noteworthy NC saltwater fly shops...?

Fished the area a lot!Blue fish,spot, pompano and drum are pretty regular catches in that stretch.I always had good luck in the inter coastal water way as well!

Thank's for the kind replies...!

sort'a reinforced what I had suspected...

I'm going to keep the Bear's Den as my go-to source for everything fly related...

and I'm going to look into the Beaufort ferry services to Shackleford Banks for "day trips" when the SW wind isn't a show stopper...

post-25465-0-48746700-1506970362_thumb.jpeg