Fly Tying
Ty Flyer

What Fly Do You Use when Fishing For trout

What do fly you use most when trout fishing  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bit of a strange question, not many people fish with only one fly all day, I just put down what I usually use but it's certainly not the only thing in my box.

I still make trips back home and trout fishing is one reason. This pole doesn't really cover enough to be helpful. Since not many of us (maybe none of us,) fish a single fly in a single place all the time. The hook choices are far too limited. Streamers are usually much bigger than your list, and most of my patterns are smaller than your list.

Normally we are all pretty polite here at FTF. But I think I will break tradition here and be blunt with my answer. They say there are no "dumb questions". But I will have to disagree. That is definately a dumb question.

Why do you think there are hundreds if not thousands of patterns if only one pattern would work all of the time? What would be the purpose of this and hundreds of other forums if one pattern worked everywhere, all the time?

I fully expect to see questions here posted by newbies trying to get a foothold in the flyfishing/flytying arena. This is the place to do that. I remember what it was like trying to sort out all of the ins and outs of this confusing pasttime. I still am. But, please don't insult everyone here by asking questions that are so obviously illogical. Even the slightest acquaintance with our sport (or any kind of fishing), would be enough to tell you that our choice of flies or lures cannot be distilled down to one or even a handful of choices.

Please don't think you should never ask questions here. But if all you want to do is see your question on the internet and you can't think of anything better to ask than this...don't waste your time...or ours.

Sorry about the rant. mad.gif

edit....wow that was harsh1 I must have forgotten to take my meds.

I fish two dries primarily. Parachute Adams in sizes from 10 to 20 and BWO sparkle dun (comparadun) in 14 to 20.

Wow, what a difficult question to answer. Here in western North Carolina, "All of the above" is the appropriate answer. On the Davidson River, I never use any fly larger than an size18 and could go as small as 28. But up in Brookie country a size 10 or 12, big and bushy does the trick. The thing is every river, lake and stream is different and part of the fun of fly fishing is figuring out what exactly the fish are looking for.

If your looking for advice on what flies to tie to start your collection of hand made fishing flies my favorite patterns to tie and fish are as follows.

nymph patterns:zug bug and flashback pheasant tail, gold ribbed hares ear nymphs size 12-18. I tie on straight shank and curved hooks bead head and weighted beadless. Also olive, black, grey rs2

Dries: light cahil, blue wing olive and Adams again in 12-18, elk hair and x caddis various sizes and colors, brown stimulator size 14 on 3xl curved hopper hook, royal wulff

Streamers: lots of brown wolly bugger's with and with out beads and weight size 12-6. I like a couple strands of pearl flash in the tail and a strip of gold holo tinsel on the sides I also like marabou black ghost and maribou Micky Finn size 10-4

All are relatively easy to tie and effective in most places I fish.

Good luck and have fun tying

Agree with others, tough question. I do fish more with a 12 pheasant tail than anything, though. The larger size works for me in my area. This year I'm making myself fish with smaller nymphs and more dries just to get out of a rut.

Wschmitt3 has a pretty good list of flies for a standard box.

When pheasant tail doesn't do it, streamers usually do. My go to there is a black nosed dace. buggers are always a winner.